Question Not a car guy here, but what the heck?

Wolfshadw

Titan
As I said, I'm not a car guy. The only thing I know about changing oil is what I've seen in YouTube videos, so I let a professional handle that. Here's the thing though,

1) Yes, it's been seven months since my last oil change, but I've only driven 2000 miles in those seven months. Last time I went in for an oil change, I had only driven 1000 miles and the guy looked at me like I was crazy.
2) Been having issues with the ignition the last couple of days and my semi-knowledgeable brother said he'd take a look at it. Among his checks he noted there was NO OIL on the dipstick. NONE!

I checked it myself and he was right! There are no obvious leaks, there's no pool of oil under the vehicle anywhere I park, so how the hell do I go from a full five quarts after my last oil change to NOTHING in seven months, again, with no obvious leaks?

Any advice would be welcome!
TIA
Wolf sends

kanewolf

Titan
As I said, I'm not a car guy. The only thing I know about changing oil is what I've seen in YouTube videos, so I let a professional handle that. Here's the thing though,

1) Yes, it's been seven months since my last oil change, but I've only driven 2000 miles in those seven months. Last time I went in for an oil change, I had only driven 1000 miles and the guy looked at me like I was crazy.
2) Been having issues with the ignition the last couple of days and my semi-knowledgeable brother said he'd take a look at it. Among his checks he noted there was NO OIL on the dipstick. NONE!

I checked it myself and he was right! There are no obvious leaks, there's no pool of oil under the vehicle anywhere I park, so how the hell do I go from a full five quarts after my last oil change to NOTHING in seven months, again, with no obvious leaks?

Any advice would be welcome!
TIA
Wolf sends
"Ignition" issues and oil disappearing could be fouled plugs. You need to have someone check your spark plugs. If you have fouled plugs, then you could have bad rings, or valve seats.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Nothing on the dipstick does not necessarily mean no oil. It could be just low (1-2 qts. low). But just because you don't drive a lot does not mean you should not check fluid levels every week. And yes, that means not just oil.

As others have stated, there are many ways to lose/use oil in a car. Not all require a visible leak.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

Wolfshadw

Titan
Bad head gasket.
This can allow oil to push out into the cooling system.

What does the antifreeze look like?

Or, the oil change place screwed you last time.
No idea what the antifreeze looks like.
Being screwed by the oil change place (JiffyLube) isn't out of the question.

"Ignition" issues and oil disappearing could be fouled plugs. You need to have someone check your spark plugs. If you have fouled plugs, then you could have bad rings, or valve seats.
What exactly would "Fouled Plugs" look like? I'm not completely inept, so I probably could check this myself.

Nothing on the dipstick does not necessarily mean no oil. It could be just low (1-2 qts. low). But just because you don't drive a lot does not mean you should not check fluid levels every week. And yes, that means not just oil.

As others have stated, there are many ways to lose/use oil in a car. Not all require a visible leak.
Oh Yeah! Another Saturday chore! :rolleyes:

Thanks all!
-Wolf sends

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The number 2 cylinder in my truck keeps throwing a code for a fouled spark plug. My mechanic looked at it twice, and said it's most likely one of the rings starting to loosen up a little, and some oil is getting by. It's not enough to worry about running out of oil yet, it's losing less than half a pint every 6 months, but we're monitoring it. He recommended using a heavier grade of oil at the next oil change, to see if that does anything to stop it throwing an error code. If it was a major leak, I'd need that piston to be reringed, but it hasn't reached that point yet, and may not ever, fingers crossed.