Not acces to websites, but can able to see online friends on Steam

sprouze

Reputable
May 14, 2015
Suddenly yesterday I couldn't acces any website anymore, it gives different errors from time to time, for example: "ERR NAME NOT RESOLVED", "DNS PROBE FINISHED BAD CONFIG", "DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN".
I've tried flushing the DNS cache, changing the DNS ip to a public one (8.8.8.8, alt: 8.8.4.4)
None of these worked. Also if I use my own router, it works fine (I have to use 2 different as one is a shared router in the apartment complex with slow internet, and my own is with limited mobile data but fast)

Solution
Go to your network and sharing center and click on ethernet,> properties, > ipv4 > properties, and make sure both are set to obtain automatically. This will allow your router to assign the needed dns servers and ip address. If you do not use dhcp on your router then that is also where you input all the addresses that you need for your network connection, internet connection. I use firefox but i think it is in options and network then connections. One usually changes the settings for all the other browsers. Edge hides all those settings since it is actually made for a tablet not a desktop computer. You can tell with the limited amount of settings possible within it. I tried edge when win 10 was almost ready to be released and i thought...

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Didn't say what browser you are using but, make sure it is not set up to use a proxy server. If it is, change it to no proxy server. You can still see others in steam because it uses it's own network settings. Let us know if this is what the trouble is or not.

sprouze

Reputable
May 14, 2015

I don't it uses any proxy server, couldn't find anything in proxy settings atleast. Also I Google Chrome, but I can't acces any site on windows edge either

NerdIT

Distinguished

I would use your router as your preferred DNS server. I would only use Google's (or others) as a backup. You can run into issues using public DNS servers -security, availability, and reliability being a few.

Check the IP settings on your NIC (properties of NIC>IPv4 Protocol>Properties, and ensure that the correct values are present and correct.

DNS deals with translating FQDN's ex. www.google.com to its corresponding IP address -and vice versa (usually) So we don't have to type in 86.201.22.33 (made up) or whatever in our browser when we want to Google something.

Sorry if you already know this stuff -but what problem do you have using your own router as DNS server? -this will not effect your Internet speed (unless your router is very old/failing). If anything it may improve it.

Hope this helps!

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Go to your network and sharing center and click on ethernet,> properties, > ipv4 > properties, and make sure both are set to obtain automatically. This will allow your router to assign the needed dns servers and ip address. If you do not use dhcp on your router then that is also where you input all the addresses that you need for your network connection, internet connection. I use firefox but i think it is in options and network then connections. One usually changes the settings for all the other browsers. Edge hides all those settings since it is actually made for a tablet not a desktop computer. You can tell with the limited amount of settings possible within it. I tried edge when win 10 was almost ready to be released and i thought it sucked.

Solution