Not being able to turn on computer

lmlz

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Im not able to turn on my computer and i dont knw whats the reason. Sometimes i can turn it on and sometimes i cant. I can only turn it on after unplugging the cables and the plug it back on(sometimes it doesnt work too). However, i believe tht the problem does nt lie w the cables as i have tried buying new ones and still, i cannot turn on my comp.

Solution
could be two or three issues. one is a dead cmos battery. if it dead some mb wont post right. the cr203 battery at most stores is 10.00 for two of them. just unplug the pc from the wall. use a flat head screw drive and open the clip and let the battery pop out. make sure the battery + side with the writing is facing up. most cmos batterys last 3-5 years. if your rig is newer it can be a bad power supply or a bad cap on the motherboard. look at the motherboard and power supply see if any caps are swelled or leaking. if you have a friend see if one of them has a spare power supply you can use for testing.
if the test unit works better then the old one..look at the power supply vendor page see if your unit still under warranty. a lot of...
could be two or three issues. one is a dead cmos battery. if it dead some mb wont post right. the cr203 battery at most stores is 10.00 for two of them. just unplug the pc from the wall. use a flat head screw drive and open the clip and let the battery pop out. make sure the battery + side with the writing is facing up. most cmos batterys last 3-5 years. if your rig is newer it can be a bad power supply or a bad cap on the motherboard. look at the motherboard and power supply see if any caps are swelled or leaking. if you have a friend see if one of them has a spare power supply you can use for testing.
if the test unit works better then the old one..look at the power supply vendor page see if your unit still under warranty. a lot of units have 5 year warranty.

Solution

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Could be a faulty power switch, to test short the 2 pins on the board that the power button connects to (remove the cable first). Its located with the other cables from the case front panel (HDD light, reset switch ect). Google your bard for location of the pins if unsure. If it works every time time its the swich, if not most probable cause is a faulty power supply.

Do you get any messages? Have you got a buzzer to indicate whether it's posted (loaded bios)? Who assembled the PC? What cables do you unplug then re-plug before turning it back on? Have you got a PC knowledgeable friend who can come and have a look at it? Can you take it to the shop you bought it from? More info please!