[SOLVED] Not enough PCI E cables

devshah4113

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I currently have a GTX 1080, which uses a 6+2 pin. However, I am purchasing a GTX 1080ti, which will sit in my case for a mining app that I use. My PSU only has 2 6+2 pins, but the 1080ti requires a 6 pin + 8 pin. What can I do instead of buying a new PSU?
Also, if I have my displayport cable plugged into the 1080, the 1080ti won't be used for games right? When I plug the 1080ti in, should I keep the 1080 in the top PCIe slot or move it down?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you buy a new psu or do without the second gpu.

not having the connection tells you, the psu can't provide the power needed. NOTHING you do can magically force the psu to be able to put out more power. electricity does not work that way.

so again your options are

get a new stronger psu
or
don't use the second gpu.

Reactions: devshah4113
I currently have a GTX 1080, which uses a 6+2 pin. However, I am purchasing a GTX 1080ti, which will sit in my case for a mining app that I use. My PSU only has 2 6+2 pins, but the 1080ti requires a 6 pin + 8 pin. What can I do instead of buying a new PSU?
Also, if I have my displayport cable plugged into the 1080, the 1080ti won't be used for games right? When I plug the 1080ti in, should I keep the 1080 in the top PCIe slot or move it down?

Two 6+2 connectors you have would be what you need. 6+2 = 8 So use the 6 pins on one connector and use the combined 6+2 which makes the 8. More importantly you should make sure the PSU you have is a good model with enough power to run the card.

devshah4113

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
you buy a new psu or do without the second gpu.

not having the connection tells you, the psu can't provide the power needed. NOTHING you do can magically force the psu to be able to put out more power. electricity does not work that way.

so again your options are

get a new stronger psu
or
don't use the second gpu.
Is a 650W power supply not enough for a 1080 and 1080ti if I slightly reduce the power limits of both in MSI Afterburner?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we need to know the rest of the system specs and what specific gpu models you are trying to use. power usage can be very different for a reference card vs a high end oc'ed card.

also need to know the EXACT psu model you are looking at. all psu's are not created equal and a junk unit that claims to be 650w vs a quality unit that actually is 650w are 2 different topics completely.

please list your full system specs and model numbers so we can ee what you needs are and what sized psu would be needed to run the full system.

Reactions: Archaic59

devshah4113

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
we need to know the rest of the system specs and what specific gpu models you are trying to use. power usage can be very different for a reference card vs a high end oc'ed card.

also need to know the EXACT psu model you are looking at. all psu's are not created equal and a junk unit that claims to be 650w vs a quality unit that actually is 650w are 2 different topics completely.

please list your full system specs and model numbers so we can ee what you needs are and what sized psu would be needed to run the full system.
I currently have the GTX 1080 reference card, and am planning to get an EVGA 1080ti SC Black.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700, no OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F
Storage: 1TB HDD + Kingston 240GB A400
PSU: Corsair VS650 80 plus

Thank you for the help, really appreciate it.