6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Hi everyone,
Hope you're staying safe.
Currently I have as SSD and a HDD, both being ~500-ish GB in size each. My old Windows OS was installed on the hard drive, and the new OS I'm using is on the SSD.
HDD is partitioned into 2-3 Volumes, one with the OS, the other with data only and one named 'System Reserved' whatever that means. So I had 4 partitions, and around 150 GB I could get rid off (mainly from the old OS drive).
Apparently I couldn't boot into my HDD no more, and I wasn't gonna spend time figuring that out, so I went ahead and deleted the whole volume in Disk Manager. I deleted the system reserved one, and then the old OS one. So from 4 partitions, now I have 2 partitions and a big amount of unallocated space. (Btw, HDD partition is set to Dynamic, and the SSD one is Basic. I don't even know who did that)
But now, when I try to extend the HDD data partition, I get the message on this thread's title: "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."
I tried third party software, didn't do much. I tried creating a new volume, same error.
Important: both partitions have data I don't want to delete; both partitions are close to full.
What can I do at this point ? How much space is there really needed and where ? Why can't I format the unallocated size or just create a new volume ?
Thanks for your time. Tell me if you got questions, or want pictures. I'll appreciate your help.

Solution
Once there is nothing on that drive that does not exist elsewhere....and you've verified this...

Delete all partitions on that drive, leaving one blank space.
Right click, New Simple Volume.
Basic, GPT.

Format, and give it a drive letter.
465GB in one usable space.
Then, copy the data back.

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
OK, test.

Does the system boot up with ONLY the SSD, Disk 0, connected?
Is there anything in Disk 1 that you wish to keep?
What is the make/model of the SSD?
Yes, the system boots with SSD only connected. It's a Kingston A400 if I'm right. it's a fairly new disk so I'm not expecting any problem from the SSD.

And yes, I want to keep everything from Disk 1. 😁 It is full of personal data...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the system boots with SSD only connected. It's a Kingston A400 if I'm right. it's a fairly new disk so I'm not expecting any problem from the SSD.

And yes, I want to keep everything from Disk 1. 😁 It is full of personal data...
Well....

In Disk Management, you can only Extend to the right.
That current configuration, you can't extend to that 202GB partition at the far left.

Ideally, what you do is copy all the 'personal data' from Disk 1, and wipe it clean. Delete ALL partitions, leaving one blank space.
Then, make that Disk 1 a single partition, and copy your data into it.

Or, just give that 202GB partition on the left a new drive letter. But the third partition having "windows" in there is just wasted space.

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Well....

In Disk Management, you can only Extend to the right.
That current configuration, you can't extend to that 202GB partition at the far left.

Ideally, what you do is copy all the 'personal data' from Disk 1, and wipe it clean. Delete ALL partitions, leaving one blank space.
Then, make that Disk 1 a single partition, and copy your data into it.

Or, just give that 202GB partition on the left a new drive letter. But the third partition having "windows" in there is just wasted space.
I don't know what's the difference of Extending to the right/left, like why does it have to be different at all ? Is there a logic explanation I'm missing?

The thing is I don't really have enough space where to copy all that data...

I can't give the unallocated size a new letter just like that, because it again shows that error.. Question is: how much space should there be to create a new volume out of that unallocated space ??

USAFRet

Titan
For whatever reason, Disk Management can only Extend to the right. That is its functionality.
If you Right click on the 202GB partition at the left on Disk 1, what specific options does it give you?

The thing is I don't really have enough space where to copy all that data...
That is troubling. Any manipulation of partitions really really needs a known good backup of any data. It is VERY easy to make a mistake, and it all goes away.

Your new C drive, Disk 0, only 7% free space is also troubling. An SSD really really needs 15-20% free space.
Less than that, and you're killing the lifespan and slowing its operation.
Really.

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
For whatever reason, Disk Management can only Extend to the right. That is its functionality.
If you Right click on the 202GB partition at the left on Disk 1, what specific options does it give you?

That is troubling. Any manipulation of partitions really really needs a known good backup of any data. It is VERY easy to make a mistake, and it all goes away.

Your new C drive, Disk 0, only 7% free space is also troubling. An SSD really really needs 15-20% free space.
Less than that, and you're killing the lifespan and slowing its operation.
Really.
View: https://imgur.com/dixBoXE

'New simple volume' just gives the not enough space error once again...
'Properties' pops up disk's properties. it's not a partition really, just unallocated size...

I knowwww it's not good but I can't do anything about it... I mean, I'm trying to open up space, but then I run into errors like this one

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
View: https://imgur.com/dixBoXE

'New simple volume' just gives the not enough space error once again...
'Properties' pops up disk's properties. it's not a partition really, just unallocated size...

I knowwww it's not good but I can't do anything about it... I mean, I'm trying to open up space, but then I run into errors like this one
alright View: https://imgur.com/zJtEtMh
16% free on the SSD now, happy?
Fix me the HDD please

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
You don't have to make me happy.
Your SSD is smiling a little bit more now.

On Disk 1, in the "Old Win" partition....how much data, exactly, are you looking to save?
And what, exactly, is that data?
😁
As I said before, about all of it. Pictures and videos make almost I'd say 80% of it all, and the rest is some software I can't really find anywhere on the internet when I really need it so I just keep it there.
So there's no chance I can format the unallocated space and use it? at all ?

USAFRet

Titan
😁
As I said before, about all of it. Pictures and videos make almost I'd say 80% of it all, and the rest is some software I can't really find anywhere on the internet when I really need it so I just keep it there.
So there's no chance I can format the unallocated space and use it? at all ?
The "software" is probably unusable in the context of the OS on the Disk 0 SSD.

If a right click on the leftmost partition, 202GB, does NOT go through New Simple Volume...then your options are severly limited.

Move your personal data off to some other location.
Buy, beg, borrow an external drive to copy to.
Or upload to some cloud service.

Then, wipe that entire Disk 1 clean, leaving one big 465GB partition.
Format, give it a drive letter, copy the data back.

Any manipulation of partitions needs to be preceeded with a known good backup of any data you wish to protect. It is far too easy for something bad to happen, and it all goes away.

6_ERALDI

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
The "software" is probably unusable in the context of the OS on the Disk 0 SSD.

If a right click on the leftmost partition, 202GB, does NOT go through New Simple Volume...then your options are severly limited.

Move your personal data off to some other location.
Buy, beg, borrow an external drive to copy to.
Or upload to some cloud service.

Then, wipe that entire Disk 1 clean, leaving one big 465GB partition.
Format, give it a drive letter, copy the data back.

Any manipulation of partitions needs to be preceeded with a known good backup of any data you wish to protect. It is far too easy for something bad to happen, and it all goes away.
Actually with software I mean installers, not usable software. That's why I keep it there.

Actually that's just about what I was thinking, but wanted to check with someone else to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Now I'll try to shrink the amount of data I really really need, let's see if I can get away without needing another HDD. I'll try using some online back ups just in case tho, but I ain't deleting anything just yet.
But that'll be just half of it. I need a guide on how to partition it without causing any trouble. (it's a 6+ year old drive after all) Plus idk if I should convert it to Basic, or GPT and not MBR, all that stuff... I don't reckon it'd be necessary tho 'cause I won't be needing to expand anymore in the future, but still.
Thank you for the advice, and thank you for your time. I appreciate the quick responses. Stay safe!

USAFRet

Titan
Once there is nothing on that drive that does not exist elsewhere....and you've verified this...

Delete all partitions on that drive, leaving one blank space.
Right click, New Simple Volume.
Basic, GPT.

Format, and give it a drive letter.
465GB in one usable space.
Then, copy the data back.

Reactions: 6_ERALDI
Solution