[SOLVED] Not getting 100Mbps on D-link 2750U

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I recently upgraded from 5Mbps to 100Mbps, and observed that I'm not getting the speed that I opted for. The download rate is always stuck at 25-30Mbps and upload at 30-32Mbps. The router I'm using is D-Link 2750U which I bought in year 2014. It is an N300 ADSL2+ router which supports only 2.4GHz.
The wireless settings I'm using are:
Control sideband: Upper
Wireless channel: CH11
Mode: 802.11n
Bandwidth: 40M

When I asked about it to my internet distributor, he said something about using four cores instead of two in his Ethernet cables which is used to connect his distribution point and my router, and that he'll convert those two cores to four.

I want to ask, is there any setting that I can change to get the desired speed? the router description says I should theoretically get 300Mbps transfer rate in this router, which should be enough considering we divide 300Mbps to 150Mbps upload and download each.

Last edited:
Solution
You have a massive number amount of wrong information here.

First how is the router connected to the internet. It has a dsl modem in it and if you are using adsl you can never get 100mbps. Maybe you get 30mbps. You need a different technology called VDSL to get faster but it is unlikely you can get 100mbps even with that. Is there some kind of modem that you are somehow connecting this router to.

Next you always need to test on ethernet.

That router is old and does not have gigabit ports, which is common on dsl routers since the can't even run 100mbps. You might get 100mbps through the router using its option ethernet wan port, but it needs some kind of modem to attach to.

The 300 number is a marketing number...
You have a massive number amount of wrong information here.

First how is the router connected to the internet. It has a dsl modem in it and if you are using adsl you can never get 100mbps. Maybe you get 30mbps. You need a different technology called VDSL to get faster but it is unlikely you can get 100mbps even with that. Is there some kind of modem that you are somehow connecting this router to.

That router is old and does not have gigabit ports, which is common on dsl routers since the can't even run 100mbps. You might get 100mbps through the router using its option ethernet wan port, but it needs some kind of modem to attach to.

The 300 number is a marketing number it is some unrealistic special lab test number. It more represents how the data is encoded rather than the speed. If you are testing on wifi it would not be unexpected that you only get 30mbps even if you connected this to a gigabit internet connection.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019

I'm connected to the Internet through the WAN (the router has middle east firmware flashed which converts Ethernet port #4 into WAN port, disabling the DSL), and I did check the internet speed using both Wi-Fi and LAN. The result is the same on both.
You might get 100mbps through the router using its option ethernet wan port, but it needs some kind of modem to attach to.
I don't get this part. The Ethernet port #4 (now the WAN port) is getting the connection, and I can connect laptop/desktop using port #1~3. Plus this router already has built-in modem. Do you suggest I buy a new router?

Last edited:
You can get a very basic 802.11ac router for under $50 new and like $15 on the used market. A ac1200 router will be a lot faster and this is still a older router.

I would plug your pc directly into the modem form the ISP in place of your router. If you don't get 100mbps like this I would contact the ISP.

Technology has changed a lot. The router you have may or may not have a hardware NAT accelerator. This was done becuase the CPU in routers was a bottleneck. Newer stuff all has this feature so even a very inexpensive router can actually pass 1gbit wan/lan.....of course it must have gigabit ports or it will be limited to 100m.

So if you can get 100m direcltly connected to the ISP but when you put the router in the path it does not give you full speed when you use all ethernet cables then the router likely is the problem.

Still before you buy anything hook directly to the ISP with your PC.

Reactions: SamirD

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
You can get a very basic 802.11ac router for under $50 new and like $15 on the used market. A ac1200 router will be a lot faster and this is still a older router.

I would plug your pc directly into the modem form the ISP in place of your router. If you don't get 100mbps like this I would contact the ISP.

Technology has changed a lot. The router you have may or may not have a hardware NAT accelerator. This was done becuase the CPU in routers was a bottleneck. Newer stuff all has this feature so even a very inexpensive router can actually pass 1gbit wan/lan.....of course it must have gigabit ports or it will be limited to 100m.

So if you can get 100m direcltly connected to the ISP but when you put the router in the path it does not give you full speed when you use all ethernet cables then the router likely is the problem.

Still before you buy anything hook directly to the ISP with your PC.
My local service provider upgraded the existing Cat5e wiring to Fiber optic, and turned my old 2750U into an extender. Now the speed is 90Mbps+ considering the ports are Fast Ethernet and not Gigabit. When I plug the Fiber optic router directly though, I'm easily getting 101.xx Mbps. I'll have this setup till the old dog dies. Thanks for the info though, I'll be looking for the 802.11ax standard routers now instead of ac.

Be aware wifi6 (ie 802.11ax) is already obsolete. Last I saw there was 1 asus router that supported it but I don't know if you can buy it. The intel nic cards I saw actually started appearing on sites like new egg about a week or two ago. By this summer I suspect we will see lots of equipment. Wifi6e is going to be massively better with huge amount of bandwidth on the 6g radio. For a while neighbors won't stomp on each other.