[SOLVED] Not Getting Full Gigabit Internet

jangisbangis

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
So I'm somewhat at the end of my rope here. I built a new computer a few months ago. It runs great. Within the last week, however, I moved to a location that offers gigabit internet. For some reason, I am not getting the full gigabit internet. Different speed tests yield different results. My ISP is Comcast, and using their speed test at speedtest.xfinity.com, I get about 350 Mbps down, whereas with speedtest.net, I get about 115 Mbps down. All speed tests yield about a 40 Mbps upload, which I believe is correct. The motherboard in question here is the ROG Strix x470-F, and I have it wired into the modem via Cat 5e.

I have my old PC wired to the modem via another Cat 5e cable, and it gets the full gigabit when running speed tests. I have taken the ethernet cable directly out of that PC and plugged it into my new PC, and I still only get between 150 and 350 Mbps on it, so at this point I am thinking it has to be either the motherboard, the actual LAN port on the motherboard, or Windows (I'm running Windows 10 Pro).

I have been to ASUS's website and downloaded the latest network drivers. I also noticed that the driver is the Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver, so I went to Intel's website and downloaded the latest of that driver as well just to be sure. Neither of those things worked.

Here is a screenshot of the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility showing the 1.00 Gbps speed:
25ouyk7.png

And here are two screenshots of speed tests showing what the speed actually is, one is from speedtest.net and the other speedtest.xfinity.com:
ehkodu.png

sxisl2.png

I did try (after some Googling) forcing 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex instead of the default Auto Negotiate. Doing so did not change anything. The connection dropped for a second, then came back up and yielded the exact same speed test results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Fortunately whatever is causing that limitation on the one motherboard isn't a big issue, you can get an Intel gigabit Ethernet card for about $25 that uses a PCIe x1 slot (plug and play) and fix it easily.

RealBeast

Titan
What model is your gateway device (combo modem/router), or modem and router individually, whichever you actually have?

The question is really to whether your device(s) have gigabit WAN ports as some devices do not. Most even relatively modern devices have gigabit LAN ports.

If your ports are all gigabit, you probably need to contact Comcast to insure that your connection is actually providing gigabit access to your residence.

jangisbangis

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
What model is your gateway device (combo modem/router), or modem and router individually, whichever you actually have?

The question is really to whether your device(s) have gigabit WAN ports as some devices do not. Most even relatively modern devices have gigabit LAN ports.

If your ports are all gigabit, you probably need to contact Comcast to insure that your connection is actually providing gigabit access to your residence.

I actually had Comcast come out initially when I noticed my speeds were low. They tested the modem (I'm plugging the PC directly into the modem) and it was putting out the gigabit speeds. The modem model I am unsure of. The Comcast technician installed it. It is one of theirs that I am renting. They installed it specifically for the gigabit speed, though, so I would assume the two LAN ports on it are both gigabit. Also, one of the two LAN ports registers as gigabit when I plug into it with my old computer. However, using that same port and cable on my newer computer still yields the slower speeds.

Here is the back of the modem. It's a little blurry, but there are two empty ports with phone icons on them (for VoIP, I assume), two occupied LAN ports (one going to my newer PC, one to my older PC), the Coax line, and the power.
a9vdr8.jpg

Also, TinyPic appears to have flipped the image. Sorry about that!

RealBeast

Titan
Okay, that gateway does indeed have a gigabit WAN port.

If you have already checked your cable quality, I would take a look at THIS short video on checking your channel bonding and signal levels to determine if they are adequate. The second half of it covers gateways, but probably worth watching the whole 5 minutes or so.

jangisbangis

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
Okay, that gateway does indeed have a gigabit WAN port.

If you have already checked your cable quality, I would take a look at THIS short video on checking your channel bonding and signal levels to determine if they are adequate. The second half of it covers gateways, but probably worth watching the whole 5 minutes or so.
So I watched the video a couple times and looked through the stats on my own gateway page. They all looked pretty good. Here is a screenshot of the first few downstream channels. They appear consistent with what the gentleman said was ideal in his video.
24zc7l1.png

There were a couple channels at the end that seemed anomalous. Here is a screenshot of them. The last two channels appear significantly different than all the 30-some others. I am unsure if it is an issue, though.

n5hk3t.png

I also looked at the logs for the last few days, and there was only one error message that said:

[Harvester][3667]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting

I am not sure if that is related either.

jangisbangis

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
Yup, your channels and signal looks okay.

I would check the cables that you are using.
So the cables are fine. I've swapped both between the PC that registers Gig and the one that doesn't. Both cables register the full Gig when connected to the old computer. Neither will register it on the new one. I'm suspecting that it's either something in my Windows install or the actual port on the motherboard. Although if the port on the motherboard were damaged, I would think I would be seeing much lower speeds than 385 down. Also, I've gone through the UEFI to see if there's some kind of network limiting option to disable, but I could not find anything.