[SOLVED] Not getting possible speed through powerline

Apr 26, 2020
Recently i have discovered that I indeed have cca 550 Mb/s download when connected directly to router. Unfortunately I am reliant on powerline adapters - currently using Tp link AV600. Tp PLC shows communication speed between the two adapters ccs 420Mb/s but in fact i am getting only 100Mb/s. Speed and duplex is set to Auto negotiation. I chcecked every ethernet cable and they are in good shape. Drivers are up to date and Firmware in adapters is also up to date.
Any suggestions what to do? Thanks.

Solution
I think those are the model of powerline adapters that tplink change the name on from av500 to av600. Not sure the homeplug standard is av2-600 but I think tplink calls those av2-1000. I really wish the engineers would slap the marketing guys around and stop all this fake bigger number competition.

I strongly suspect the device you have only have 10/100 ethernet ports. This is pretty much a admission that they know that the "600" number is not really valid.
I think those are the model of powerline adapters that tplink change the name on from av500 to av600. Not sure the homeplug standard is av2-600 but I think tplink calls those av2-1000. I really wish the engineers would slap the marketing guys around and stop all this fake bigger number competition.

I strongly suspect the device you have only have 10/100 ethernet ports. This is pretty much a admission that they know that the "600" number is not really valid.

Solution
I have those exact same adapters. You're getting some really great speeds through them for what they are. Only upgrading to the newest will do anything and at best will move you to 200Mbps.

If you have coax cable available, look into moca 2.0 as you can get full gigabit with the ease of powerline installation.

Apr 29, 2020
Recently i have discovered that I indeed have cca 550 Mb/s download when connected directly to router. Unfortunately I am reliant on powerline adapters - currently using Tp link AV600. Tp PLC shows communication speed between the two adapters ccs 420Mb/s but in fact i am getting only 100Mb/s. Speed and duplex is set to Auto negotiation. I chcecked every ethernet cable and they are in good shape. Drivers are up to date and Firmware in adapters is also up to date.
Any suggestions what to do? Thanks.

Current TP-Link powerline adapters up to their AV600 series only have a 10/100M port. Everything above that upgrades to gigabit. Its in the spec, its on the box, its on the webpage, its in the product sort options, its even written on the product. I didn't know any of this before actually buying the damn things, I came to find it all out afterwards.

I have tested alot of powerline products trying to find a solution. Most recently the tp-link AV600 series vs the AV1000.

Through their own utility, a pair of AV600's shows a transfer rate of 250Mbps between each other. Connecting a laptop to the other end confirms what we already know. The laptop shows a 100m ethernet connection and my internet speed test shows 30-40Mbps while my internet speed at my switch tests at 300Mbps.

Performing the exact same test in the exact same outlets but with the AV1000 shows a 750Mbps connection between them , a 1.0Gbps connection on the laptop and speed test comes back with 275Mbps+ every time.

TP-Link even says it in their disclaimer alllll the way at the bottom in italics in a color similar to the background, "Actual data speeds vary and may be limited by the product’s Ethernet port and other network conditions such as data traffic, electrical noise, and wiring issues. "

That same disclaimer is not on the products with a gigabit port. They have also confirmed this themselves several times over in their own forums eventually.

All that being said. You want these on the same circuit and avoid power strips if at all possible. If you need an internet outlet on a budget, the non gigabit versions work fine. If your internet connection is on the higher side (or even 100Mb+), I would start at the AV1000.

I for one was incredibly annoyed when I was sitting on the couch one day and realized it was the cause for lag on my console. I just assumed the speed shown on their utility was accurate, that everything was working as it should and the problem lay elsewhere. Luckily it was a quick amazon return and upgrade to the AV1000's.

I also looked into those wifi extenders that have an ethernet port on them but all seem to be a 10/100 port.

Tp-Link marketing is definitely on bit on the murky side unless you read every little line. I definitely learned my lesson.

Best of luck! 👍