Question Not getting the proper performance with RTX 2070

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
So... here is my drama:

Recently I've built myself a new pc with:

Asus Strix ROG B450-F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (operating at 4.0 Ghz)
MSi RTX 2070 Armor G
(2X8gb) G.Skill Trident Z 3000 Mhz
Corsair TX 850 w
Ultrawide Monitor LGG 29UM69G-B (max res 2560x1080)

I set the CPU clock to 4.0 Ghz and the RAM clock to 3000 Mhz (after a little struggle) but I'm definitely not getting the proper performance while playing games like Battlefield V and The Witcher 3.
In Battlefield V while playing with Vsync on ultra settings I get 75 fps almost all the time, once in a while there are stutters in which the fps drops to 40 for a few seconds. With Vsync off I get between 90 and 80.
The same happens with The Witcher 3.
I've been using MSi Afterburner. Temps are normal, both on GPU and CPU. While playing BFV with Vsync on I get 60%/70% of GPU usage and 50%/60% of GPU Usage.
The BIOS, Windows and all drivers are up to date. I don't know what to do. Please, help!

Last edited:
Something has to be borked, because in all the threads I deal with daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, I've never once heard mention of that issue in any conversation regarding those type of symptoms previously, or needed to use that to resolve any issues that weren't strictly hardware failure related.

Seems, .......weird, and unlikely. But I guess anything is possible these days.

I'd be more suspicious of a configuration problem or driver issue.

After updating the BIOS, did you do a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers, or did you just "RE-install" the drivers withou using the DDU? BIG difference.

Also, after updating the BIOS, it's sometimes a good idea to do a hard reset, which of course means you'll have to reconfigure all your BIOS settings afterwards, but sometimes it's the only way to get a problem that refuses to go away, to go away.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Something has to be borked, because in all the threads I deal with daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, I've never once heard mention of that issue in any conversation regarding those type of symptoms previously, or needed to use that to resolve any issues that weren't strictly hardware failure related.

After updating the BIOS, did you do a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers, or did you just "RE-install" the drivers withou using the DDU? BIG difference.

Also, after updating the BIOS, it's sometimes a good idea to do a hard reset, which of course means you'll have to reconfigure all your BIOS settings afterwards, but sometimes it's the only way to get a problem that refuses to go away, to go away.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

I will follow those steps. It's being really frustrating but at this point I'm willing to try everything. I'm even considering purchasing two more sticks of RAM (which are not exactly cheap here where I live). Anyway, I'll do what you just said and let's see what happens then. And once again, thanks for the help.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019

Now that you've mentioned, when I tried to download the latest Nvidia driver, it wouldn't install. The error message said that my current version of Windows was not compatible with the driver and recommended me to download it through GeForce Experience.
i'm using Win 10 v.1803.

Before going any further, I'd go to the Microsoft website here and download the 1903 (May 2019) major update:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then run it. It resolved some few issues on my system and several others, primarily with some hardware issues that I had been unable to get sorted out previously.

See if there is any change after doing that. If you wish, you could also simply take this time to use that download to do a CLEAN install of the latest build, which is always the better option when doing a spring or fall update.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Before going any further, I'd go to the Microsoft website here and download the 1903 (May 2019) major update:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then run it. It resolved some few issues on my system and several others, primarily with some hardware issues that I had been unable to get sorted out previously.

See if there is any change after doing that. If you wish, you could also simply take this time to use that download to do a CLEAN install of the latest build, which is always the better option when doing a spring or fall update.

Awesome! I'll surely do that.
BTW I also did what you said. Removed the motherboard CMOS battery and all that stuff and everything was set again on default BUT now I'm not being capable of booting the computer with the RAM set on 3000 Mhz. It only boots when I leave it on "auto" which sets the RAM to 2133 MHz.
I'm using the latest BIOS.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Awesome! I'll surely do that.
BTW I also did what you said. Removed the motherboard CMOS battery and all that stuff and everything was set again on default BUT now I'm not being capable of booting the computer with the RAM set on 3000 Mhz. It only boots when I leave it on "auto" which sets the RAM to 2133 MHz.
I'm using the latest BIOS.

I had to do it manually and it worked. BTW I'll format the computer and install everything again. Let's see what happens.

So, using the installer you download from Microsoft, this is what you want to do, and you should follow it EXACTLY as outlined in order to be sure it is actually a FULL CLEAN install.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Well.... I did everything I could, followed every tip you guys gave me (and for that I'm very thankful) but the stutters persist. The only thing that stops it is that "Intelligent standby list cleaner" thing.
At this point I don't really know what to do. If I buy more RAM and see if 32 gb of RAM will make any diference althought I think it won't make any difference at all 😕

Adding another 16GB of memory isn't going to have an effect on gaming. I don't know of any games that have issues with "only" 16GB.

Try using only ONE stick of memory, in the A2 slot. If the stutters persist, try it in the B2 slot. If it still does it, or has any issues, try the other stick of memory in the A2 slot, and then the B2 slot just the same.

I'm not against the idea of it being a memory issue, but it's not due to a LACK of memory, that is for certain.

Are you using GeForce experience?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Sorry for the delay to answer. I've spent one week traveling for work.
Anyway, I did something that apperently has solved those stutters for good. My monitor has AMD Freesync and after the most recent drivers Nvidia G-Sync is now capaible of working with freesync monitors. I'm having a much better performance while using g-sync. :D

The only problem I've been noticing right now is that sometimes, during gameplay I have this small stutters with robotic sounds. It has happenned with Battlefield V, The Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto V. While playing GTA V the game crashed. Those stutters with those weird sounds are very rare but happens sometimes.:rolleyes:
Does anyone know what that could be?

Do you have this audio driver installed.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/Realtek_Audio_Driver_WIN10-64_V6.0.1.8468_0428.zip

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.8468 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL) with release date 4-28-19.

You might want to run the DDU, like you did for the graphics drivers, but choose the audio option in the DDU, and then install that driver fresh afterwards. DDU does complete removal including orphaned registry entries, for audio now just like it has always done for graphics cards. Worth a try. Often audio drivers encounter similar problems as the graphics card drivers these days.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Thanks for all the help. I did solve the audio issues and the stutters which were the topic's original theme is also solved. In the end what made all the difference was the "Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC" which is a bizarre solution but it works. Apperently this problem began after the "Creators uptade" on Windows 10. I hope this topic helps anyone facing the same problems.
Thank you all for the help! :D you guys are awesome!