News Not-So-Solid State: SSD Makers Swap Parts Without Telling Us

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
. It's a f-ing epidemic, any intel SSD over 18mo old is a giant failure risk (without warning).
Would still be longer than my Kingston A400 drive lasted. I have heard a lot of strong different opinions with regards to Intel SSDs.

My moms Acer Nitro 5 came with a Intel 660p NVME SSD and Is definitely more than 18 months old. Drive sucks under sustained load from what reviews say but it feels very snappy just doing laptop things.

USAFRet

Titan
Would still be longer than my Kingston A400 drive lasted. I have heard a lot of strong different opinions with regards to Intel SSDs.

My moms Acer Nitro 5 came with a Intel 660p NVME SSD and Is definitely more than 18 months old. Drive sucks under sustained load from what reviews say but it feels very snappy just doing laptop things.
My 660p turns 18 months old in 2 week.s.

If it dies, thats what warranty and backups are for.

well OBVIOUSLY not every intel SSD will fail after 18 months, Its just gotten so bad the only drive failures i see anymore in the wild (HD or SSD) always seem to be intel SSDs. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-intel ssd fail... as for hard drives of course they still fail but they're becoming pretty rare what with the prevalence of SSDs in even business computers these days.

Dec 5, 2020
Hay All,
Just saw a ltt show about this issue, last week I ordered a prebuilt to replace my 10yr system, i'm going bleeding edge with a 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe M.2 as the boot drive and Samsung 860 evo's I got separately 1/2 off black friday as storage... The firecuda was not cheap and I have time to cancel it if its not as good as advertised. Recommendations? Also would you recommend I still slap a mechanical drive in the system? Are seagate mechanical drives still good? Thanks.

Dec 5, 2020
well OBVIOUSLY not every intel SSD will fail after 18 months, Its just gotten so bad the only drive failures i see anymore in the wild (HD or SSD) always seem to be intel SSDs. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-intel ssd fail... as for hard drives of course they still fail but they're becoming pretty rare what with the prevalence of SSDs in even business computers these days.
Whats your sample size for comparison? Do you work with a ton of intel drives or a mix of all brands?

USAFRet

Titan
Hay All,
Just saw a ltt show about this issue, last week I ordered a prebuilt to replace my 10yr system, i'm going bleeding edge with a 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe M.2 as the boot drive and Samsung 860 evo's I got separately 1/2 off black friday as storage... The firecuda was not cheap and I have time to cancel it if its not as good as advertised. Recommendations? Also would you recommend I still slap a mechanical drive in the system? Are seagate mechanical drives still good? Thanks.
I wouldn't call a FireCuda "bleeding edge".

Mechanical drives? All my house systems are SSD only. Have been for several years.

The drives in or attached to the NAS, however, are spinning. I can't quite justify 50TB of SSD to go in that...lol

Dec 5, 2020
So seagate has not come up in this bait and switch scheme yet? That's good. What would you consider bleeding edge? From the reviews I saw it was a toss up of the firecuda 520 and the corsair mp500... Its going into a 5950x system and those two drives were recommended for getting that extra 10% from the new pcie 4.0 bandwidth. I might be completely talking out my ass here though as I have not had new computer hardware in 5 years and am just going off youtube videos trying to sell stuff lol.

Dec 5, 2020
Ah thanks, they don't have 980's listed so I might downgrade to the cheapest pos and upgrade the system myself.. Kind of wanted a 2tb boot drive though.

Dec 5, 2020
Yes, ibuypower with a 6800x, I can still edit the invoice, was hoping to snag a 6900xt on tuesday if they havent started processing it yet. Was the only way I figured out how to get parts or I would have built it myself and they were within 100 bux of parts picker list after black friday deal.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, ibuypower with a 6800x, I can still edit the invoice, was hoping to snag a 6900xt on tuesday if they havent started processing it yet. Was the only way I figured out how to get parts or I would have built it myself and they were within 100 bux of parts picker list after black friday deal.
"ibuypower "
Please don't.

iBuyPower is known for crap assembly, and crap parts where people don't notice.
For instance, what specific power supply is going in this?

Dec 5, 2020
"ibuypower "
Please don't.

iBuyPower is known for crap assembly, and crap parts where people don't notice.
For instance, what specific power supply is going in this?
It's a completely custom system, not one of their prebuilts. Power supply is a corsair 1000 watt, I have a rm850i and its lasted 10 years, don't know if ibuypower will try to cheap out with a random oem cutdown corsair sku but I feel like corsair generally has good power supplies. I'm getting the system cut down with the bare minimum excluding core components, going with 5950x with the amd stock fan, asus x570 hero mobo, 32 gigs of trident z 3600 ram, boot drive, and power supply. Going to put the new lian li uni fans and a nzxt kraken 360mm cooler I picked up from microcenter in it, and 6tb of samsung ssd's for storage. I paid 40 bux extra for "premium" packaging/cable management, whatever that means. I figure I will basically be taking the whole thing apart when I get it.

Last edited:
Whats your sample size for comparison? Do you work with a ton of intel drives or a mix of all brands?
It's a mixed bag, We have a few hundred HP computers spread out amung a few clients, and those all use INTEL ssds. Most of the rest of the 600-700 business computers with our other clients are Dells using some combination of kingston/toshiba intel or samsung (dell loves tossing cheap kingston/toshiba ssds in stuff, depending on the computer it could be any number of drive types) I'm sure the intel stuff makes up 1/2 the ssds we see in the wild. and they make up all but one of the SSD failures I've seen (the lone other SSD failure was a cheep kingston).

Feb 3, 2021
Is there a way to find out which controller is used in an ADATA drive?
Got one in May and a second one in October... it would be nice to know!
You'll need to physically read the model off the chip. There is a tool that can identify the which SM controller but NVMe drives are not supported.

TRENDING THREADS