[SOLVED] Not stable at stock but stable at OC after CPU Cooler change

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hi all,

I am at a loss for words right now because I don't understand why my PC is not stable after a CPU cooler change.

I changed my CPU cooler from NH-U12S to NH-D15S (with an additional fan NF-F12 from the U12S) and after running cinebench r20 & cinebench r23, it was giving me application error (bug report) for single core only, multi-core it passes fine. So while gaming, it plays fine but then after a while it gives me BSOD. So far it's been 2 days, and both times I played COD Cold War and CS GO I got bsod quota_underflow and bsod irql_not_less_or_equal. However, when I OC my CPU to 4.65 @ 3.125V I no longer get cinebench crashes (software) and I am able to game for hours without any issues.

Last night I tried to remove one of the fans (y-cable still attached but thought maybe I am getting some weird current spikes since both fans aren't identical), re-seated both of my rams and did memtest86 (without XMP on) but came up with no errors after 4 passes. After this, this morning I ran cinebench r23 and it passes single core BUT fails singlecore for cinebench r20 (with XMP on). I have not tried gaming without OC yet since but it's obviously unstable and I have no idea what it is.

More information - I have built this PC, but I have been upgrading it the past year, so upgraded stock cooler to U12S initially, added sleeved cables and upgraded CPU 2 weeks ago, so I have been touching and handling the inside of my PC a lot.

Main Specs:

Windows 10, latest version on SSD m2
Ryzen 7 5800X
RTX 3080
MSI B450 Gaming plus max (latest BIOS, Patch D beta)
Corsair RM850x
2x8GB XPG Z1 DDR4 3200mhz (XMP on)
5 case fans in total
2 SSDs (one sata, one m2 pcie)
1 HDD (2.5") salvaging from an old laptop

:|, did I mess up my CPU or motherboard after this cooler change?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: It looks like PBO turned off fixed the issue (I also have C-states disabled now but I think its primarily PBO), have not had a power-kernal error/BSOD/crash without BSOD during gameplay so far. Further research suggests that this is a bios issue with PBO, looks like several Ryzen 5000 owners are experiencing the same thing.

I will provide an update in the next few days, hopefully that fixed the issue. I will close it then and hopefully this helps others like me in the future.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
UPDATE: It looks like PBO turned off fixed the issue (I also have C-states disabled now but I think its primarily PBO), have not had a power-kernal error/BSOD/crash without BSOD during gameplay so far. Further research suggests that this is a bios issue with PBO, looks like several Ryzen 5000 owners are experiencing the same thing.

I will provide an update in the next few days, hopefully that fixed the issue. I will close it then and hopefully this helps others like me in the future.

Solution