Not Sure if GPU is Underperforming

ARVB Rocky

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Hey guys

I recently built a system that runs a GTX 1080 GIGABYTE Windforce. I set everything up and it works beautifully; however, I'm afraid my GPU is under performing. At core clock speeds, it gets me around 80-90fps on cinebench, where I see others getting 60 frames higher. On destiny 2, 1080p, Highest graphic settings I get right around 60fps and sometimes dip below. I feel like that is REALLY bad for a GTX 1080. I'm not sure if this has to do with me running it at core clock, but I am considering an RMA. Can you guys provide any insight? Thanks!

INFO: I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 3200 16GB DDR4 RAM

Solution
You're going to have to oc your processor and get your ram up and running too at least 2933. Ryzen scales very well with faster ram and if you didn't change anything then yours is running at 2133. Also a 1700 is bad slow stock speeds. Need to get it up in the 3.7/3.8 range at least. 3.7 can probably be done on the stock cooler.

iamacow

Admirable
Cinebench is not a good standard for the video card. It is CPU bound. You want to run 3Dmarks and look at the graphic scores to directly compare if you video card is running normally. Also you are playing a Beta. I wouldn't be surprised if Destiny 2 isn't optimized yet. NVIDIA did release new drivers just for the beta last week so make sure you are using those.

Saying you are getting 80FPS and Cinebench and than comparing to Destiny 2 beta makes zero sense.

Jul 19, 2015
Finally, somebody with the same issue as me.

I'm not talking just video cards having awful performance. I'm talking a GTX 1080 having about the same strangely lower performance mine has.

Here's my thread I made 3 months ago with the same issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3428524/gtx-1080-performance-seemingly.html

I'm even getting roughly the game performance on highest in Destiny 2, and people with my same setup are also getting higher scores in benchmarks.

For further comparison, is your performance fixed for the most part when you set it to high? When I'm on high, my FPS go too far below 100, but on highest my FPS plummets to 60~. Also, do you not have a big performance difference between low and high? When I switch between low and high, the FPS doesn't change a whole lot.

I really hope we can get this fixed, this issue has been bothering me for so long.

iamacow

Admirable
If both of you really think the video card is under preforming, I suggest using DDU to uninstall the video card drivers completely and than reinstalling the newest ones. That will clear out anything that is mucking things up. I've always had issues switching between video cards without uninstalling the old drivers first. It has been this way forever it seems like. Switching between Series usually causes problems. Forget about AMD to NVIDIA, that is a whole problem in itself.

Also you need a baseline to compare to. Just saying Overwatch or Destiny 2 "under preforms" means nothing unless you have a A to A comparison. Since that is really hard to find and neither of those games have benchmarks, you need to rely on other benchmarks and games to get a baseline. 3Dmarks is a great starting point. If your graphic score matches what everyone else is getting a with a 1080, than your video card is fine and something else is a problem. Drivers, Game, CPU, but not the video card.

Sorry to rant but this is like the 10000000 time someone has made a thread with this "problem" and didn't take the time to actually troubleshoot before posting.... Than people hjack the thread or start asking ridiculous things like what type of power supplies the op has, which would have no affect on a GPU performance (jut stability).

IT IS easy to trouble shoot yourself. A) Test the video card in VIDEO CARD benchmarks, B) Test the CPU in CPU benchmarks. IF both look normal than it is something else (like the game itself or drivers!).

Jul 19, 2015

I feel you 100%, that sounds very annoying. I have tried tons of things, but truthfully I never did a clean install with DDU. I really should have, it's so obvious. Unfortunately OP's PC is brand new, so a clean install probably wouldn't accomplish anything.

ARVB Rocky

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

1) yes, it's running at stock

2) It is 3200 Mhz RAM, haven't tried boosting it to 3200

ARVB Rocky

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I think you misunderstood. My CPU KILLS the Cinebench test, but falls off with GPU. My comparison was't between cinebench and destiny.

ARVB Rocky

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I will try my best to dig deeper into it, I set my power plan to be "Best Performance" and it helped a little. Try that.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You're going to have to oc your processor and get your ram up and running too at least 2933. Ryzen scales very well with faster ram and if you didn't change anything then yours is running at 2133. Also a 1700 is bad slow stock speeds. Need to get it up in the 3.7/3.8 range at least. 3.7 can probably be done on the stock cooler.

Solution

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

A lot of people come here by chance looking for a solution and don't browse through years worth of postings. And even when you try to, it is often difficult to find something just like your issue.

And the power supply question is valid. If you have a crappy power supply, it can throttle your GPU.

So try to help the guy or move on. No need to complain about people trying to help someone in need. No need to be a dick about someone asking for help and others trying to help him.