Not sure if I need a splitter, a switch or a hub

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Hello!

Basically my current network setup limits my speed at around 11 MB/s, due to my router being not all that good.

I'm not using the router all that often(though I want to keep it for guests and such), so I don't want to purchase a new and better one, so I was thinking of isolating the router so it only limits the speed of mobile connections.

Now, from what I have been reading there are 3 options that I have at the moment(a splitter, a switch or a hub). I see that these are quite different and I'm not sure which one might suit my needs better.

My ideal setup would split the connection from the modem separately to my 2 PCs and my router, so the speed available for the PCs is unhindered.

I would just connect my PCs to my modem, but it is not in my apartment, as far as I know(I rent the place so I haven't been here when it was installed).

Also, as a small mention, my speed(if it is unhindered) is quite high and I've read that it can be limited by some of these pieces of hardware(a splitter, a switch or a hub). I'd want to avoid that, if possible.

Thank you in advance!

Sk5wuEJ.png

Solution
In a hub, a frame is passed along or “broadcast” to every one of its ports, while a switch keeps a record of the MAC (Media Access Control) addresses of all the devices connected to it and can identify which system is sitting on which port. Ethernet cables and splitters are pretty inexpensive, easy to use, don't have any software to setup, and don't require a power outlet. If you go this route you will probably want to pick up a few more short ethernet cables, especially for the modem/router side of the setup. These are fairly cheap.
What exactly is "High speed" in your diagram?
11MB/S - are those megabytes per second? Then it's 100mbit connection. I'm guessing "High speed" could be 1gbit. Right?
Is ISP really providing you with 1gbit internet?
What are model names of your devices - modem, router?

Your proposed model probably will not work. It depends on, if modem also has built in router functionality.

If modem has router built in, then you'd need "High speed" capable switch.
If modem doesn't have router built in, then you'll need "High speed" router and replace old one with new one.

Here's the list of top router models:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan

I think he's getting confused with Router and AP. It is probably one in the same, and doesn't want people on his Wifi, stealing the PC bandwidth. I could be wrong though, because there is no equipment listed.

11MB/s is very good, so not sure why you think that is bad.
Also if it is a rented place and you don't pay for the internet direct from the ISP (rather you rent it from house owner) then you shouldn't be messing with it. From what I can see, your knowledge of networks isn't that great and you would have to start logging into the router to change things (if its possible with the existing router) to make sure you get priority bandwidth.

You can throttle your own connection and split it out in your network.

The router will do this function. It must be stated to support it. The feature may be named under QoS, pipes, throttling, limiters, etc.

This won't double the service you get from your ISP. If you're not happy with that then you need to talk to them.
Based on what you want you will need 22Mbs from the modem.

What's the total speed you pay for. If your current router is only 100Mbs and your internet is faster then it is bottlenecking you.

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

By "high speed", I mean around 50 Mbps(though I plan to upgrade), since now, I can only download with 11 Mbps.

I have used this website to test my speeds.

The router is a TL-WR841N. And the modem is either outside of the apartment(unlikely) or my connection is just cabled to an outside source from my ISP.

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

I meant 11Mbps, which is laughable, considering what you can get for a really cheap price in this country(Romania). I directly pay for the internet, as I rent the whole apartment, so I have full control of everything.

I have logged in to the router and looked around the router settings, but there didn't seem to be an option for that. I've read that my router is simply not able to output higher speeds.

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

I based my question on this article.

I listed my router in another reply. Feel free to take a peek.

Test connected to your modem via ethernet to make sure you are getting 50Mbs. Are you connected via wifi or powerline? 11Mbs is an odd number to bottleneck at. The very old wifi B caps at 11Mbs, other than that it could be due to a limiter on your router.

Make sure when you say 11Mbs you don't mean 11MBs. It's a difference in a factor of 8.

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

I tested without the router and got around 50 Mbs. My connection is wired and I am pretty sure that, indeed, the router is throttling the connection. I think it's just hardware limitation, rather than some setting, but do feel free to contradict me.

TL-WR841N is 100mbit capable router.
If you upgrade your internet connection from 11mbit to 50mbit, it's still less than your router can deliver.
You don't need to do any hardware upgrade for this.

BTW - do you understand difference between mbit (megabits per second) and megabytes per second?

Can you show screenshot from that speed testing web page with your results?

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Well, from what I know, 1 megabit is 0.125 of a megabyte. I might have switched them around in my phrasing. Sorry for that.

Here is the screenshot of the results while the connection passes through my router. Without it, I'd have that, but with 50 or so instead of the 11.

If the router is old just replace it. If it's new or you want to try more you can factory reset it. You might be throttling yourself unintentionally. 100Mbs router shouldn't be bottlenecking you. Old or poorly constructed routers can have thermal issues and the cpu downclocks so much that it can't handle the traffic. If it randomly turns off it may be trying to save itself from heat.

That is 11mbit (1.4 megabytes/s) connection. Did you test via wireless or with ethernet cable?

Can you also show speedtest screenshot without using a router?

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

The router is pretty new. I bought it around a year ago. I have done a factory reset some time ago, with no results. I'm thinking that there might be a throttling option enabled by default. Not sure what it would be called though.

The router is pretty new. I bought it around a year ago. I have done a factory reset some time ago, with no results. I'm thinking that there might be a throttling option enabled by default. Not sure what it would be called though.[/quotemsg]

This would be very unlikely. Make sure to also test with only your test computer plugged into the router. This will rule out network problems coming from other computers on the network.

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

The other other speed test showed the exact same thing, but with 54 or so instead of the 11. I don't have the screenshot from the test without the router, as I have done it on my other PC. I can do it again, but unless you really need it, I'd rather not mess with the cables again.

Anyway - if router is hindering your network performance, you can't replace it with a switch.
A new router is necessary. Get one of those (all are gigabit routers capable of delivering >600mbit and cost between 25$ and 40$):
  • D-Link DIR-850L
    D-Link DIR-860L
    D-Link DIR-827

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Can't I split the ethernet cable coming from the wall(think of it as the thing listed as "MODEM" in the diagram) so that I can get 50 or so Mbps everywhere where "HIGH SPEED" is listed in the diagram?

Covrig Gabriel

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

This would be very unlikely. Make sure to also test with only your test computer plugged into the router. This will rule out network problems coming from other computers on the network.[/quotemsg]

I've had this happen when I only had one computer connected as well.

Router is exactly this "spliter".
Keep in mind - if a single device utilizes all of available bandwidth (50mbit), then rest of devices are left with nothing.

BTW - your current router might have bandwidth limiting enabled - exactly for this purpose, so a single device cant take all the available bandwidth for itself.

A router with more than one LAN port is also a switch. Modems don't do anything except modulate and demodulate so that two devices speaking differently can communicate. Hubs are old and not practical to use at all, switches have fully replaced them.

You just need a new router if yours isn't hitting the speeds it's designed for. If factory resetting doesn't work then just replace it.

May 15, 2018
In a hub, a frame is passed along or “broadcast” to every one of its ports, while a switch keeps a record of the MAC (Media Access Control) addresses of all the devices connected to it and can identify which system is sitting on which port. Ethernet cables and splitters are pretty inexpensive, easy to use, don't have any software to setup, and don't require a power outlet. If you go this route you will probably want to pick up a few more short ethernet cables, especially for the modem/router side of the setup. These are fairly cheap.

Solution
If you log into your modem you should be able to see what speed your net is connected at.
Don't worry so much about a speed test if you can see what your actual incoming speed is.
The router you have seems more than capable of speeds you are paying for, so I think the problem is with your modem speed.
But also, if you use speed test programs, it's best to use different ones and try different servers.