Question Not sure what component to blame; Random crashes, can't see error

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
As the title says. After crash, check on the bios and it says my ram is completely flubbed. I'd assume it's a ram issue, but could this be something else? I've been having Kernel-41 Errors once a week or so since my GPU change as well, but that thread died with no solution, so I'm checking all of my bases.

GPU: ROG Strix 2080 Super
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz
Mobo: Asrock B450 Pro4
PSU: EVGA 850BQ

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
55GB single stick lol? So I'm guessing this should be 2x 8GB in slots A2/B2? Because it says it's in dual channel mode but there's nothing in B2.

Try reseat your ram and if it is indeed two sticks try both separately. Test them with Memtest86.

As the title says. After crash, check on the bios and it says my ram is completely flubbed. I'd assume it's a ram issue, but could this be something else? I've been having Kernel-41 Errors once a week or so since my GPU change as well, but that thread died with no solution, so I'm checking all of my bases.

GPU: ROG Strix 2080 Super
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz
Mobo: Asrock B450 Pro4
PSU: EVGA 850BQ
Reset CMOS or find the "Return to Optimal Settings" toggle in BIOS and do it.

The idea is to first make sure your system is running in full default modes, then test it out completely again. If it works that way only then set memory XMP and test that way. Always keep in mind that a 2000 series CPU is rated for memory speed of 2933, not 3200. It may have seemed to worked OK for a while but semiconductors degrade as they age.

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
55GB single stick lol? So I'm guessing this should be 2x 8GB in slots A2/B2? Because it says it's in dual channel mode but there's nothing in B2.

Try reseat your ram and if it is indeed two sticks try both separately. Test them with Memtest86.
I've reseated and run memtest, no errors. Also, you're correct, its 2x8 in A2/B2

Reset CMOS or find the "Return to Optimal Settings" toggle in BIOS and do it.

The idea is to first make sure your system is running in full default modes, then test it out completely again. If it works that way only then set memory XMP and test that way. Always keep in mind that a 2000 series CPU is rated for memory speed of 2933, not 3200. It may have seemed to worked OK for a while but semiconductors degrade as they age.
Haven't reset CMOS yet, but after running the memtest I have lowered the clock to 2933 and will run some more tests through the day

.... I have lowered the clock to 2933 and will run some more tests through the day
That might do it too. A CMOS reset is just a sure way of getting all settings into a default mode that should work with (compatible) hardware. You do it to be able to quickly identify if you have defective hardware...or just something misconfigured that used to work with brand new components.