[SOLVED] Not sure what I'd look for

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have three computers in a single room that I want to get into my wireless network. I tried the powerline network adapters my laptop in that room (via wireless) has a way faster connection speed.

What options are there to run all three (or at least two) computers through the same wireless adapter instead of using one for each? Like run a network cable from each into a single box that carries the wireless signal to my main router. Does such a thing even exist?

Solution
It depends on what is important to you. Many people on this forum play online games so stability is much more important that the speed. Powerline maybe slower but the latency is much more consistent. The speed really only help file download. Things like websurfing and even netflix do not need huge bandwidth and extra does not really make them run better.

If you really want to go that method you can buy what has a generic name of a wifi extender. These devices can run in many modes. You would want to run it in repeater mode but turn off the wifi repeater part and only use the ethernet ports.

Your other option is you have tv coax cables in both locations is to use MoCA. This can get gigabit speeds and is more stable than...

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Well, either each pc will need a wifi adapter or a network switch, pc's connected to the switch and the switch connected to the router or get a router with build in switch. Or two pc's connected with pc-to-pc cable and enable connection share on main

It depends on what is important to you. Many people on this forum play online games so stability is much more important that the speed. Powerline maybe slower but the latency is much more consistent. The speed really only help file download. Things like websurfing and even netflix do not need huge bandwidth and extra does not really make them run better.

If you really want to go that method you can buy what has a generic name of a wifi extender. These devices can run in many modes. You would want to run it in repeater mode but turn off the wifi repeater part and only use the ethernet ports.

Your other option is you have tv coax cables in both locations is to use MoCA. This can get gigabit speeds and is more stable than wifi or powerline. The problem is you have to have the cables.

Solution