Question Not sure what the problem is... Windows wont boot 9/10 times outof the blue...?

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hi guys, so about 2 years ago i built my PC and up until a few days ago it was all good...

Now when i boot the PC (or restart) most of the time Win11 wont load... I can get into Bios... But most of the time when its time for the spinning circle that indicates Win11 starting it just freezes and sits there, there are no beeps or error messages or anything - I have to hard restet or hard power down the system from that point...

When Win11 does load the PC runs fine and every diagnostic tool i have used has come up with everything being normal and in good condition so i have no idea whats going on...

Im about to Flash my Bios as there is a newer version out than what i have - And im hoping that will help... If not i will try to re-install Win11, although the issue with that is im not sure that will fix the issue and having windows not post properly during an install when it needs to restart a few times could cause even more issues than what i have now lol... So im hoping i wont have to try that...

PC Specs:

CPU - i9 9900KS
Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO
Ram - 32gig (8x4) Corair Dominator 3600mhz DDR4
GPU - MSI Gefore 3080 Ventus
Hard Drives - Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500GB (System Drive), Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB (Multimedia/Music Production), Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Games)... (All drives have plenty of free space)
PSU - 850w Corsair Modular

The main build is about 2.5 years old while the 3080 is about 2 years old and the system drive is only about 3 months old... Everything was bought new and i built it with the help of a freind and its worked perfectly until now...

Does anyone out there have any idea what could be causing this issue...? And more importantly i guess, does anyone know what i can do about it...?

Thanks for your time...

V

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2 years?) , condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

They all can and do work loose over time due to heat related expansion and contraction. Plus vibrations.

Also use a bright flashlight to look around for any signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened areas, swollen components, missing or loose screws, corrosion, sagging cards, etc., etc..

As a matter of elimination, install a new CMOS battery.

Hi guys, so about 2 years ago i built my PC and up until a few days ago it was all good...

Now when i boot the PC (or restart) most of the time Win11 wont load... I can get into Bios... But most of the time when its time for the spinning circle that indicates Win11 starting it just freezes and sits there, there are no beeps or error messages or anything - I have to hard restet or hard power down the system from that point...

When Win11 does load the PC runs fine and every diagnostic tool i have used has come up with everything being normal and in good condition so i have no idea whats going on...

Im about to Flash my Bios as there is a newer version out than what i have - And im hoping that will help... If not i will try to re-install Win11, although the issue with that is im not sure that will fix the issue and having windows not post properly during an install when it needs to restart a few times could cause even more issues than what i have now lol... So im hoping i wont have to try that...

PC Specs:

CPU - i9 9900KS
Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO
Ram - 32gig (8x4) Corair Dominator 3600mhz DDR4
GPU - MSI Gefore 3080 Ventus
Hard Drives - Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500GB (System Drive), Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB (Multimedia/Music Production), Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Games)... (All drives have plenty of free space)
PSU - 850w Corsair Modular

The main build is about 2.5 years old while the 3080 is about 2 years old and the system drive is only about 3 months old... Everything was bought new and i built it with the help of a freind and its worked perfectly until now...

Does anyone out there have any idea what could be causing this issue...? And more importantly i guess, does anyone know what i can do about it...?

Thanks for your time...

V
Make it smaller.

Unplug all disk except the OS disk see if it makes a diff.