[SOLVED] Not sure what to do with my RTX 2060

HybridXephius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
So I recent purchased an RTX 2060 from GIGABYTE back in august, the exact model is GV-N2060OC-6GD-rev-1. The card ran fine until November when I began to hear rattling sounds coming from the fan, as well as very high temperatures under normal load (>80c).

I have since RMA'd the card, and to no surprise, Gigabyte claims that that there is "no trouble found with different configurations". I have asked for a replacement, but they are sending the card back without any repair.

At this point I have two options, I can either sell the card on a third-party site, or try to install it with an aftermarket cooler. I'm not entirely sure what to do as I paid $300 for a faulty product that was denied warranty service.

Should I buy an aftermarket cooler such as ones from arctic? Or should I sell the card and put the funds towards a new one?

Solution
So I recent purchased an RTX 2060 from GIGABYTE back in august, the exact model is GV-N2060OC-6GD-rev-1. The card ran fine until November when I began to hear rattling sounds coming from the fan, as well as very high temperatures under normal load (>80c).

I have since RMA'd the card, and to no surprise, Gigabyte claims that that there is "no trouble found with different configurations". I have asked for a replacement, but they are sending the card back without any repair.

At this point I have two options, I can either sell the card on a third-party site, or try to install it with an aftermarket cooler. I'm not entirely sure what to do as I paid $300 for a faulty product that was denied warranty service.

Should I buy an...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Should I buy an aftermarket cooler such as ones from arctic? Or should I sell the card and put the funds towards a new one?

You could sell it, but will you be able to sleep at night knowing you sold a faulty card to some unsuspecting bloke or gal? If you disclose it's faulty though, you're going to get a lot less for it. You could definitely put an aftermarket cooler on it which would fix your issues with the added bonus of allowing you to sleep at night (lol)

I personally like Gigabyte as I have an 11yr old Gigabyte mobo running a 1090T and it's still chugging along just fine and is used every day but I have zero tolerance for shady business practices so If you are SURE there is an intermittent fan issue, film it acting up. Have your cell on standby or a digital camera to record both the audio and video. Can you "make" it act up? Any steps you can repeat to make it act up? Then contact Gigabyte again. If they refuse to fix/replace even with video & audio proof, threaten to contact the FTC (If you're in the US) or post it all over social media.

Here's a good post about an aftermarket Cooler here on Tom's for the 2060 from June of this year. Might be worth looking into. Keep in mind that an aftermarket cooler may otherwise void the cards warranty so you may want to replace the cooler as a last resort.

What happens when you use a program like Afterburner or Precesion X1 to control the fans? Everything secured on the card itself? Fan blades arn't dirty? The GPU's HS&F are clean?

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Solution

HybridXephius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
I've decided to sell the card for around $230 with disclaimers of the defects. I'm replacing it with a 2070 SUPER Gaming X by MSI. I've learned a lesson that sometimes paying slightly more for better build quality and warranty service goes a long way.

It's a shame I had a bad experience with GIGABYTE, but perhaps I'll return to them in the future if they can improve their RMA/Customer service. Working in IT myself, I can say that the last thing you ever want to do to a customer is hand them the blame without offering a solution or recommendation.

Reactions: Mrgr74