[SOLVED] Not sure where to post this, but computer is randomly lagging and freezing.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 23, 2020
Hardware:
Motherboard: MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: MSI 2070s ventus oc
Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360
PSU: CORSAIR - RM Series 750W ATX12V
Storage: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560 MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD (OS), and a WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX 4TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Windows 10 64bit 2004
3 front case fans and 1 exhaust fan
dual monitors
All of the components were bought from May of this year and up.

My computer has been sporadically lagging/freezing throughout the day. This has gone on for a week or two at this point.The pc will freeze when I am playing games and alt-tab to another window and will also freeze if I am just doing normal work i.e. using chrome and using excel. The computer does not completely freeze though, it like lags more or less. I can still use the window I was in, but if I try to click onto another window, I cannot get onto that window. For example, I could be typing this out in chrome and want to click over to another browser window and it will not let me, for a random amount of time. When I go into task manager, I can end a program, like chrome, and I will regain control of everything again. Sometimes I just open task manager and it lets me regain control of the computer as well.

I recently upgraded my ram to the 4x8 3600 pack from a 2x16 2666mhz pack. I thought this could be the issue so I put back the old ram to no avail as it still happened with the old ram. I also restored previous versions of windows which did nothing. All thermals are normal and there are not any sporadic cpu spikes either during these times. Before this I was able to play a game on one screen and alt-tab back and forth to my second screen with ease. Last night I wiped both harddrives and did a complete reinstall of windows and it still does it. All drivers on everything are up to date including a new bios. I even remounted the AIO with fresh thermal paste today just incase that could have been it and that did nothing either. I also reset the bios to default everything. XMP is not active, GPU and CPU are not OCed.

I do not know what to do at this point so if anyone has any idea please let me know.

Solution
update chapter 29759...wireless mouse has made it better LOLOLOL

also, keep getting cod errors but I have looked the issue up and people seem to have issues when memory is running at 3600, if I run it at auto 2133, it works.

idk, for now everything is good haha
Sep 23, 2020
Any errors in Memtest86 is considered a failure. It is possible that the error is caused by the Motherboard either RAM slots or voltage regulation.

When an error occurs it's best to try another kit that have been tested and known to work. Make sure the retailer will accept a return should the kit you choose not work.
If it continues having errors then it's safe to assume the motherboard is the culprit.
This is going to sound insane but I swapped out my mouse for a wireless mouse i use with my laptop, and nothing had happened. I have been playing games and doing work and nothing.

coincidence?

Sep 23, 2020
bro i almost had an aneurysm. but no haha. I unplugged my wired mouse, plugged wireless adapter into a different usb port, was working fine, so I put in port I had wired mouse in...fine.

I almost cried at this point.

So i replugged my wired in, did it within 5 minutes. Replugged wireless, and still didnt work and I breathed a sigh of honest relief. The ram comes tomorrow to test and new motherboard on thursday, so i have the weekend to figure it out. Hopefully this fixes it, if not im setting it on fire.

bro i almost had an aneurysm. but no haha. I unplugged my wired mouse, plugged wireless adapter into a different usb port, was working fine, so I put in port I had wired mouse in...fine.

I almost cried at this point.

So i replugged my wired in, did it within 5 minutes. Replugged wireless, and still didnt work and I breathed a sigh of honest relief. The ram comes tomorrow to test and new motherboard on thursday, so i have the weekend to figure it out. Hopefully this fixes it, if not im setting it on fire.

As your removing the MB, benchtest the system before assy.

As you did have corrupted files in Windows32 the scan fixed them and that is more likely the fix.
Gremlins come in all shapes and sizes, :(

Let's know when your OK for sure.

Sep 23, 2020
Yeah, call of duty keeps crashing too with a weird dev error, when i searched the code places indicated it had to do with memory so I am leaning towards that more and more.

Will let you know, thanks again for all the help.

Sep 23, 2020
Installed new MOBO, used old ram, same thing happened. Installed new ram, seemed to be all good.

I was also using my wireless mouse with my computer and it was working great. I decided this has to be fixed and plug my gaming wired mouse back in, and within two minutes it started again. I am beside myself. I even uninstalled mouse drivers and reinstalled, nothing. I put the wireless back in and everything is working.

I. DONT. GET. IT.

Sep 23, 2020
I should add I cannot run memtest till tomorrow because I lent out my usb with it to a friend who was installing windows, but I do not see how there is anyway at this point it is the issue.

Installed new MOBO, used old ram, same thing happened. Installed new ram, seemed to be all good.

I was also using my wireless mouse with my computer and it was working great. I decided this has to be fixed and plug my gaming wired mouse back in, and within two minutes it started again. I am beside myself. I even uninstalled mouse drivers and reinstalled, nothing. I put the wireless back in and everything is working.

I. DONT. GET. IT.
Are there two issues here?

Well as you describe you have the old RAM which are faulty and the New kit seems to be all good.
List the new ram kit P/N?

Could the issue be with the gaming mouse or it's driver. Use the Wireless one for now.
Is there an issue with the USB port.? Does your PSU provide good efficient voltage to your USB ports?
Only way to test that is to swap out the PSU with a known working unit of same or higher wattage

I'm lost atm so lets recap.
The issue is intermittent and not defined under load.
Describe what happens during the POST cycle. Does POST go straight to OS or prompts for Bios?
No Device driver issues. You checked for yellow triangles in Device Manager?
No thermal or apparent voltage issues under load.
Not an issue with Windows as you did a clean instal.
I think you checked in Event Viewer for possible clues?

I'm going to stick with you Kyled, It's bugging me too.:mad:

Sep 23, 2020
Are there two issues here?

Well as you describe you have the old RAM which are faulty and the New kit seems to be all good.
List the new ram kit P/N?

Could the issue be with the gaming mouse or it's driver. Use the Wireless one for now.
Is there an issue with the USB port.? Does your PSU provide good efficient voltage to your USB ports?
Only way to test that is to swap out the PSU with a known working unit of same or higher wattage

I'm lost atm so lets recap.
Describe what happens during the POST cycle. Does POST go straight to OS or prompts for Bios?

I'm going to stick with you Kyled, It's bugging me too.:mad:

Sep 23, 2020
New Ram - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19Q-32GTZRB

The "old ram" was corsair vengeance pro 3600 rgb, i returned the first kit to amazon, they sent me a new one, the new one is the one i was just using.

I replaced my motherboard with the same one but newer, there is no way the usb ports could be the issue, as I went to test that by plugging in the wireless adapter to the same one I was using for the wired one. My psu is a gold 750w, there's no way that isn't ample enough power, it only started to do it once I upgraded memory.

Now for your questions:
Correct, it varies. For example some times it can do that, when I have Call of Duty on one screen and a browser on the other, which is what I am currently doing but it's working fine. It also sometimes does it while I am using ZOOM for class or work.

Straight to OS no issues. I can boot into BIOS and change whatever I want, no issues

No driver issues.

Thermals are fine under load, been playing call of duty for over an hour now and I am sitting at 53 on the CPU and 54 CPU.

Correct, I even ran the system check as you specified before and it was still all clear. As no viruses.

As far as the event viewer I have 0 idea what I would even be looking for. I have critical errors from the past two days and the source is kernal power with an event id of 41 and task category 63. I am imagining this is from constant rebooting today.

Sep 23, 2020
I think this has something to do with it, this started around the time I posted about it 9/23 and multiple times after.
bukFrVV.png

Sep 23, 2020
update chapter 29759...wireless mouse has made it better LOLOLOL

also, keep getting cod errors but I have looked the issue up and people seem to have issues when memory is running at 3600, if I run it at auto 2133, it works.

idk, for now everything is good haha

Solution

TRENDING THREADS