[SOLVED] Notebook CPU Upgrade

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
Hello, I would like to ask... I have Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1FX Laptop which has Pentium 2020M CPU. Can i upgrade that notebook with i5-3210M or i3-3110M? Also there is a strange thing about the notebook... he doesnt turn on with battery... when battery is not installed everything works perfectly fine, but when battery is plugged in i got black screen, even on second monitor doesn't show anything. Thanks for your answers

Solution
Hello, I would like to ask... I have Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1FX Laptop which has Pentium 2020M CPU. Can i upgrade that notebook with i5-3210M or i3-3110M? Also there is a strange thing about the notebook... he doesnt turn on with battery... when battery is not installed everything works perfectly fine, but when battery is plugged in i got black screen, even on second monitor doesn't show anything. Thanks for your answers
It should be compatible with this cpu, as it has the same socket powerconsumption and memory support : ) https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-008A-003J1?Description=PGA988&cm_re=PGA988-_-9SIA4E98BE1976-_-Product

all core performance is 71% faster compared to the one that's in it
as well as 27% faster single core...

LrnzpKiller

Distinguished

Laptop CPUs sadly can't be replaced, they're soldered straight onto the motherboard.
As for your battery, it seems to be a pretty old laptop. Laptop batteries go bad after a given amount of time and charges. Does it turn off when the battery is installed AND charging?

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
Laptop CPUs sadly can't be replaced, they're soldered straight onto the motherboard.
As for your battery, it seems to be a pretty old laptop. Laptop batteries go bad after a given amount of time and charges. Does it turn off when the battery is installed AND charging?
I dont really agree with you... this laptop has G2 Socket and i can eject the CPU from it so it's definitely upgradable... Yes i know that most laptops cannot be but this one can be.. I didnt try to turn it on without the PSU, i will try but it doesnt work with PSU

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It appears that all of them use the same socket, so at least that is going for you.
I know that many of the newer laptops do have soldered components, I am not sure if this is new enough for that.

My best recommend aside from just trying it, would be to look up the model and see if it was offered with those CPU as an upgrade to the same model/chassis.

As to the battery it could just be shorting enough to cause low power from the supply. If you have the ability check the charging circuit while it's apart doing the CPU and install a new battery.

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
It appears that all of them use the same socket, so at least that is going for you.
I know that many of the newer laptops do have soldered components, I am not sure if this is new enough for that.

My best recommend aside from just trying it, would be to look up the model and see if it was offered with those CPU as an upgrade to the same model/chassis.

As to the battery it could just be shorting enough to cause low power from the supply. If you have the ability check the charging circuit while it's apart doing the CPU and install a new battery.
This notebook is 7 years old.. and it has a socket i can dismount the cpu when using flat screwdiver

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020

Low power from supply? it works only on supply, but with battery it doesn't, i asked an electrician and he said that the battery is bad, could a new battery solve that problem? and when i try to start it without PSU and with battery it doesnt even start...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Low power from supply? it works only on supply, but with battery it doesn't, i asked an electrician and he said that the battery is bad, could a new battery solve that problem? and when i try to start it without PSU and with battery it doesnt even start...

Yes, like your battery is shorted causing the charging circuit to draw more power than the supply can provide until it's unplugged.

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020

For Example this one had the i3 3110M but its C50-A-175 and mine is C50-A-1FX but i think it's the very same only different configuration... these laptops are advertised as Toshiba Satellite C50-A series so

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For Example this one had the i3 3110M but its C50-A-175 and mine is C50-A-1FX but i think it's the very same only different configuration... these laptops are advertised as Toshiba Satellite C50-A series so

In a case like this may take some sleuth work on your part. If you search down on the two models for individual parts look to see if the motherboard was the same, and if the supplied power brick as well as battery were spec'ed the same. I would go on an assumption that the i3 will be likely to swap in without changing anything else. If you can find it cheap, at this point and age I don't think you have much to lose by trying. I would not expect miracles either as far as performance leap. Cure for boredom, perhaps.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some years back I had a Vostro from Dell that had a Sempron IIRC. The same model had an available Athlon which I was able to find really cheap on eBay. It absolutely breathed new life into that machine for a couple of years. I was glad in that a screen replacement made it worth WAY more than it was worth, if you catch my drift.

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
In a case like this may take some sleuth work on your part. If you search down on the two models for individual parts look to see if the motherboard was the same, and if the supplied power brick as well as battery were spec'ed the same. I would go on an assumption that the i3 will be likely to swap in without changing anything else. If you can find it cheap, at this point and age I don't think you have much to lose by trying. I would not expect miracles either as far as performance leap. Cure for boredom, perhaps.
i found it for just 8$ on local market

Reactions: punkncat
It should be compatible with this cpu, as it has the same socket powerconsumption and memory support : ) https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-008A-003J1?Description=PGA988&cm_re=PGA988-_-9SIA4E98BE1976-_-Product

all core performance is 71% faster compared to the one that's in it
as well as 27% faster single core performance.

Last edited:
Solution