Noticable FPS drop in some games compared to Windows.

FuriousGamer

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I have been running Linux as my main OS for a few months now and haven't had any reason to go back to Windows, although I do have a second HDD on the way to dual boot Windows just in case.

For everything other than gaming Linux is great but I have started noticing that some of the games that would run between 30-60 FPS on average are now running well below 30 on average on Linux. Is it something I haven't done right or is it just the games compatibility with Linux causing the FPS drop?

Solution

That may be part of the problem. AMD's drivers have, for years, not performed as well in OpenGL as they do in DirectX under Windows. Being an X-Plane user, and running on both Windows and Linux platforms, I've found that NVidia's drivers consistently give better performance in Linux (OpenGL), sometimes as much as 2x the performance over Windows.

FuriousGamer

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Yea the lack of support is also a problem as over 120 of my games are not available to play, I think I'm just going to wait for the new HDD and do all my gaming on Windows.

That may be part of the problem. AMD's drivers have, for years, not performed as well in OpenGL as they do in DirectX under Windows. Being an X-Plane user, and running on both Windows and Linux platforms, I've found that NVidia's drivers consistently give better performance in Linux (OpenGL), sometimes as much as 2x the performance over Windows.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS