Question Notification "Nvidia Geforce game ready driver update is available" ?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Seen this message on bottom right corner many times and when you bring the mouse to it, it shows "Nvidia Geforce game ready driver update is available".

is this update necessary? Using an old dell xps 9550 laptop that i been using for years but had did a clean reinstall of windows ten pro of it months ago.

Could this have issues with performance? Laptop seems slow ever since i did clean reinstall months ago such as when using chrome. Use to have tons of tabs with no issue but now lot of lagging. Now i did install kaspersky total so that could possibly be the reason? Thing is when i have many tabs opened... there is tons of lag. Never recalled these issues before i did the clean reinstall.

Specs of my old dell xps 9550 laptop are

i5-6300hq
32gb ram
TB nvme ssd

Had upgraded the ram and ssd a while back. But what is this Nvidia Geforce?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Am not sure if i did for that specific driver.

When i click on the logo on bottom right to update it, i get message of enter your email login or create a new account? At the moment, still shows that message at the right corner of the update. So do i need to do this? Does not doing this affect my windows laptop performance?

So what should i do then? Register an account for this? Never did i do this before. So what graphics card was i using before i did the clean reinstall of windows ten pro for many years then? Could that be the reason im having ton of lagging with chrome tabs? Someone else suggested it has to be kaspersky total because they said it uses a lot of ram... and because chrome also uses lot of ram so thats why its slow and lagging. But i have 32gb ram.

Are you saying that if i have this installed, it would always use the nvidia geforce and turn off the intel® hd graphics 530? Does it ever sometime switch to the intel graphics cards for certain things but the nvidia geforce for others? But the way i have it now... its only using the intel hd graphics card?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So i took a look at task manager. On performance tab, you see the

cpu usage
ram usage
disk 0 c drive usage
ethernet usage
gpu 0 intel® hd graphics 530
gpu 1 nvidia geforce gtx 960m

What i notice is the gpu 0, which is the intel® hd graphics 530 usually shows between 0% up to 20% sometimes. Also shows the driver update is from few months ago. How do i know if its up to date?

When i took a look at gpu 1 which is the nvidia geforce gtx 960m, its always at 0% as it doesn't do anything? But not only that, the driver date is showing 2020 date so that needs a driver update? That is why its not working?

But how do i know if i ever used that nvidia geforce gtx 960m before though? The thing is my laptop is plugged in on battery almost always... so wouldn't that mean it always uses the intel® hd graphics 530 and not that nvidia geoforce gtx 960m was never or rarely used?

The gpu 0 intel® hd graphics 530 shows gpu memory 0.4/15.9gb. The shared gpu memory is also 0.4/15.9gb

The gpu 1 nvidia geforce gtx 960m shows gpu memory 0.0/17.9gb. Dedicated gpu memory 0.0/2.0gb. Shared gpu memory 0.0/15.9gb

Colif

Win 11 Master
When i click on the logo on bottom right to update it, i get message of enter your email login or create a new account? At the moment, still shows that message at the right corner of the update.
that sounds like geforce experience. i would show a screenshot but I don't have it installed. Nothing else would ask for email address or logon.

What is normal with laptops is it uses the Intel GPU for desktop and browsing but if you play a game, it will use the Nvidia gpu.
So if you don't play games on it, you may never have used it.

So do i need to do this? Does not doing this affect my windows laptop performance?

I don't know if you need driver as I don't know which one you have.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Hey. Well the only game i play is online poker but does that count? What i did notice was when i was playing online poker earlier and playing lot of tables so it uses cpu and ram,
the gpu 0 intel® hd graphics 530 went up pretty high and 100% few times before going back down. But it was at least 30% throughout and kept going around 50% or so.

Then i noticed the gpu 1 nvidia geforce gtx 960m was also being used as well and getting up high in percentage. So both graphic cards were being used at once. That is normal right? Thought it would only use the nvidia geforce if it was going to use lot of ram? But i need to update the driver since its at least two years old?