Now Might Be A Good Time To Change Your Gmail, Hotmail Or Yahoo Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
While it's good to keep your password in rotation, it's been shown that this was a media hyped "Hack" most if not all the data was recycled from older hacks and or public data with some randomly generated emails salted in.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Wow! I just did this less than a minute ago before coming here! CREEEEEPY! :p

I changed my password to 0987654321ABCDE, so nobody use this, okay? :)
Dude. Now I have to change mine again... although I did it 2 hours ago, so it's only fair that you change yours...

My bad. Okay, I went ahead and changed mine to 0987654321ABCDEF, so you can keep yours as is. I just added an F to mine so I wouldn't have to remember anything else. Now if I can just remember to add the F on the end.:pt1cable:

Caanis Lupus

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

My bad. Okay, I went ahead and changed mine to 0987654321ABCDEF, so you can keep yours as is. I just added an F to mine so I wouldn't have to remember anything else. Now if I can just remember to add the F on the end.:pt1cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-NhD15ocwA

@pierrerock If you have that turned on you should be good to go since they would need the code from your text message, also will let you know IF someone is trying to connect to your account.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
but even with 2 step, i thought a big part of password breaches like this is that if you use any common passwords , they now have one of your passwords. not that its smart or that i do this (anymore...) but lets say my gmail pass was the same as my TD bank, they now have my email and pass.
i guess this is a benefit of using things like password managers that randomly generate new passwords?

My Gmail, amazon and paypal are 2 step. None have been hacked since implementing 2 step. Someone tried to hack my paypal, but it kept sending me text messages with authorization codes, at like 3am. I literally got over 100 messages before i woke up and quickly changed my password. 2-step worked like it's supposed to. My godaddy was hacked because i didn't have 2-step, but after recovering my account(long process), i enabled 2 step on it and hasn't been hacked since.

Anything else are just forums and random websites which don't handle my credit card info. Hacking them really doesn't gain them much.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

Password length help you protect from someone trying to bruteforce your password, but it does not protect from someone stealing from the server list.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

You forgot to add an alt character ™

Kelgrin

Commendable
May 9, 2016
What kills me about this is that Toms tried to recycle this article about 2 weeks ago. They did not update the date of the article so it was clearly like a year and a half old. People started calling out this fact in the comments and Toms locked the thread. It appears they must really want the article up again though since they took the time to down the old one, and upload it new with a new date...

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I better go tell my relatives... they're just hopeless.
My grandma has it going on though! She has randomly generated passwords.. although she wrote them all down on a piece of paper by her computer. Hopefully no one goes old school and robs her house lol. That's something a computer hacker from Russia won't do.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
What kills me about this is that Toms tried to recycle this article about 2 weeks ago. They did not update the date of the article so it was clearly like a year and a half old. People started calling out this fact in the comments and Toms locked the thread. It appears they must really want the article up again though since they took the time to down the old one, and upload it new with a new date...

What article are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.