News Now More M.2 Screw Rage? Asus Creates Latched Mounting System for M.2 SSDs

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Our Dell Optiplex PCs at work have been using a plastic "clip" to hold the SSDs for some time I think. Looks like this...
large

Doesn't necessarily let you move to different lengths as it's an OEM thing where they expect you to use their own approved parts.

I haven't been that bothered by the screws myself. My biggest issue was that most motherboards don't have a screw there by default. Seems to be that the SSDs themselves generally have come with the screws. Why don't they just include at least one screw in the longest position so it's there ready to go and can be moved to whatever location is needed?

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
My biggest issue was that most motherboards don't have a screw there by default. Seems to be that the SSDs themselves generally have come with the screws. Why don't they just include at least one screw in the longest position so it's there ready to go and can be moved to whatever location is needed?

I've generally witnessed the opposite, with the screws coming with the board in a bag somewhere, and the amount matching the number of M.2 slots. To avoid losing them I actually do what you said you wished they did, and just pre mount them in the board. That way if the computer or motherboard goes anywhere, the screws for the M.2 drives are always with it, whether there's a drive in place or not.

Our Dell Optiplex PCs at work have been using a plastic "clip" to hold the SSDs for some time I think. Looks like this...
large

Doesn't necessarily let you move to different lengths as it's an OEM thing where they expect you to use their own approved parts.

I haven't been that bothered by the screws myself. My biggest issue was that most motherboards don't have a screw there by default. Seems to be that the SSDs themselves generally have come with the screws. Why don't they just include at least one screw in the longest position so it's there ready to go and can be moved to whatever location is needed?

Was going to say the same thing! I will say this though they switched back to screws on the new ones, and unless you order with a M.2 THEY DON"T COME WITH A FREAKEN SCREW!!!!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The screws are not really an issue if you are careful but my biggest shock is not all motherboard manufactures have a standard size for the screw retainer. It is more of shock when you loose one and then order a replacement only to receive it and not be the right size and you are like what>??? You mean this isn't standardized?

The screws are not really an issue if you are careful but my biggest shock is not all motherboard manufactures have a standard size for the screw retainer. It is more of shock when you loose one and then order a replacement only to receive it and not be the right size and you are like what>??? You mean this isn't standardized?

Some motherboards even lack bundled M.2 spacers. And M.2 standard creators invented how to properly troll people - they use spacer with M3 screw at motherboard side and M2 thread for screw. Which is double fail because spacers in building stores and RC stores have M2 thread at both ends and doesn't match. Motherboards definitely must have unified solution for M.2 drive locking in place. Maybe something simpler and sturdier than weak plastic lock - like thumb screw with notches.

Stumbled on missing M.2 spacer and screw when wanted to add second M.2 drive into MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi motherboard. Luckily I had extra spacer and screw left from other build.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
There have been tonnes of options for a long time for anyone that has half a brain.
Duct tape
Gorilla Glue
any sort of bubble gum.

Gorilla Glue is awesome. Little bit of that on the CPU or GPU cooler and you never have to change your thermal paste again.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
This is wrong. The mounting system for M.2 drives need BOTH a Standoff AND the Screw. I have had to screw the drive down on the mobo due to a lack of a standoff. It works...kinda but the board is bent way down in the socket. This mess should have all sorts of solutions besides tiny little bags of standoff and screws.

jpe1701

Honorable
I have a lot of trouble with those little screws because I have a bad tremor so I am constantly losing them. I have to use a really strong magnetic screw driver. I learned with my last motherboard however to just use a tiny bit of scotch tape and tape the screw to the end.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
I have a lot of trouble with those little screws because I have a bad tremor so I am constantly losing them. I have to use a really strong magnetic screw driver. I learned with my last motherboard however to just use a tiny bit of scotch tape and tape the screw to the end.
And to make matters worse, these screws are so small that my usual screwdriver that I use to screw literally everything else in my PC just doesn't match. I have to use a smaller one specially for this, and I don't have a magnetic one that small! So I have to squeeze one finger between the GPU and the cooler and try to simultaneously hold the screw and position the whole thing correctly... oh, and move the SSD into the proper position with that same finger as well! That's one hell of a feat...

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
And to make matters worse, these screws are so small that my usual screwdriver that I use to screw literally everything else in my PC just doesn't match. I have to use a smaller one specially for this, and I don't have a magnetic one that small! So I have to squeeze one finger between the GPU and the cooler and try to simultaneously hold the screw and position the whole thing correctly... oh, and move the SSD into the proper position with that same finger as well! That's one hell of a feat...

IF you have a magnet, you can put a small magnetic charge on the screwdriver that is sufficient enough to hold the screw long enough to get it where it needs to be, and start it. done that for ages, i even do that for the mobo stand off screws :)

On another note, I just realized a lot of mid-range to higher end motherboards include a heatsink for the M.2 drive, usually mounted with sensibly sized screws. So it makes me wonder, at least for those motherboards, if the M.2 screw is really necessary.

On another note, I just realized a lot of mid-range to higher end motherboards include a heatsink for the M.2 drive, usually mounted with sensibly sized screws. So it makes me wonder, at least for those motherboards, if the M.2 screw is really necessary.

It is. Because same motherboards usually have another M.2 slot. Where this screw will become very necessary if you will want to add second M.2 drive.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
My mobo has heatsinks on both slots, so it's a really good question... or it would be, if SSDs themselves were not equipped with their own heatsinks, that are typically impossible to remove (at least without losing warranty). This makes mobo heatsinks pretty useless, unless I was willing to buy an SSD without a heatsink, but I think such models will become more and more rare very soon. Why? Because it “looks cool”. These days even most DDR4 units come with stupid plastic “heatsinks” that are absolutely useless, and would still be even if they were real heatsinks, so what can stop SSD vendors from equipping their products with real heatsinks, where they are actually useful? Nothing, I guess.