NSA-Designed Speck Algorithm to Be Removed From Linux 4.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Okay there, Riddick. When the Necromongers come, we'll be glad to have you around.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I wonder what the NSA was thinking here. They have no real leverage on the issue and the public is already highly skeptical of everything they do. It blows my mind that Google successfully advocated for them in the first place.

stdragon

Admirable

In a democracy, elected officials are custodians of the will of the people. Meaning, they work for the electorate while still having the autonomy to govern without micromanagement by the people. However, the NSA works for government, and not the electorate directly.

What's happening here is that at least at the Federal Gov level, the primary goal of the agency (NSA) is to follow a mission and its directives as instructed by the elected officials. And if that means colluding with them, or other nations against the electorate, so be it.

Think of the NSA like an untamed wild beast. While it often ignores you and provides mutual protection from time to time against nations of aggression, if required, it would not hesitate to turn on you also.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I'm not confused about their intentions. I'm confused about their strategy.

stdragon

Admirable

They have no strategy. They take objective orders from their higher ups and execute accordingly to accomplish the goal as requested.

As to the technical methodologies they use, well that's another matter entirely.

No, Putin and Xi didn't do this.... the U.S. Gov't did it. It isn't the foreign Govts that are the reason. It's they want to know our private business... and make sure we are being sheeple.

Simple enough. Google was probably subsidized a stipend to push for their highly questionable security algorithm with its hidden elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.