NSA, GCHQ Can Decrypt Calls And SMS In Real-Time With Stolen SIM Encryption Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If they want to listen to me talk to my wife about what food to buy at the shop or read my text messages to my brother about his friends computer not working then go right ahead, really who cares they can do this?... Your private conversations are not as important as you think.

dstarr3

Distinguished
If they want to listen to me talk to my wife about what food to buy at the shop or read my text messages to my brother about his friends computer not working then go right ahead, really who cares they can do this?... Your private conversations are not as important as you think.

99% of Americans have nothing to hide, either. Saying "Go ahead and spy on me, I'm innocent" is like saying that privacy is a right reserved only for criminals.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
99% of Americans have nothing to hide, either. Saying "Go ahead and spy on me, I'm innocent" is like saying that privacy is a right reserved only for criminals.
The alternative is to freely allow those same criminals to operate with all the privacy they could possibly need under protection of the government. Has the NSA personally caused you problems in some way? If so, you've been doing something you seriously shouldn't have. If not, then why are you complaining?

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The alternative is to freely allow those same criminals to operate with all the privacy they could possibly need under protection of the government. Has the NSA personally caused you problems in some way? If so, you've been doing something you seriously shouldn't have. If not, then why are you complaining?
If you don't care about privacy so much, why don't you post your credit card numbers, bank account numbers, social security number here on the forums?

Or how about this, let NSA put a fiber optics in your bathroom? After all you may hide something bad in there. If you have nothing to hide, why not?

achoo2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I don't really follow cellular tech., so please excuse me if this is a dumb question... but, cellular calls aren't generally end-to-end encrypted, are they? That is, who cares if the government can decode the signal between your handset and the tower - they already have direct access at the trunks. If and when it becomes possible to encrypt a cellular call end-to-end, a la STU, I seriously doubt the encryption keys of choice will be hardcoded into the third-party SIM card.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Wonderful and all that Tom's let's us know that our sim card may have been hacked at the source... Now, finish the job and let us know how to find a secure sim, or at least tell us how to know if our sim was made by this manufacturer!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
From what i see the US government transformed itself into the biggest terrorist in the world and the US citizens care less about it ...what a sad country it turns out to be "Live the American dream" ...

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

I'm getting really tired of this argument, so I'm going to change it. I want you to think about all the insane amounts of money the NSA spends to collect and warehouse and analyze all the information about toothbrush habits of the entire known world. Then think about who foots the bill for that.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i think a lot of the shock and outrage over things like this are partly due to ignorance and partly due to an overinflated ego. For starters GCHQ has been around since what WW2? This kind of surveillance a very long time, its only because the details are going public now that everyone is kicking up a fuss but at the end of the day has it actuallly affected your life at all? Now theres 2 reasons not to get too worried

1) The man power required to go through every persons phone calls/txts would astronomical, they only target people that the deem a threat because they literally couldnt do it any other way.

2) Who are you? what makes you so damn special out of the 7billion people on this planet that someone at the NSA/GCHQ actually want to view your messages and listen to your calls?. I mean even if the system was open to abuse and some perv that had access wanted to find some dirty messages. These messages are such a small minority of messages that it would take weeks for them to just stumble apon one or 2. I know theres some dedicated perverts out there but i hardly doubt that this would go unnoticed.

At the end of the day i'm sure i'll get some abuse for what i've said but i dont care. If before all these leaks you didnt know this stuff was going on then you are massively naive. To conclude, i dont really care about this because i actually understand that being no real threat the likelihood of anyone at GCHQ or the NSA actually reading anything i send is so remote its not worth losing any sleep over

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
There are hundreds of thousands of regulations in the US. So everyone is guilty of something. Just depends on if the government needs to use them on you or not.

What I'm really surprised about is as scary as all of this spying by the government is, people are still wanting the government involved in the internet with Net Neutrality. People have been convinced that because Netflix was throttled, that the government needs to regulate. The internet is great, but it won't be if the government starts regulating.

Proponents of NN sum up what they want in about 2 sentences. However, the FCC is proposing over 300 pages of regulations... that they won't let us see until after it is passed.

I'd rather see deregulation on the provider side so that there could be more competition. I'd rather see competition than government intervention.

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
I don't have anything to hide but I don't like that "Big Brother" is watching over my shoulder all the time. This country was built on freedom and every time something like this happens, it takes a little bit away from us. So what is next? Some irate NSA/GCHQ employee sells millions of keys to advertising agencies or leaks them on the web?

The biggest danger of this SIM encryption key heist is that the NSA and the GCHQ can spy on anyone in the world who uses a Gemalto SIM, without ever needing a warrant and without being detected

Provided they collect the data first. The world is a fair bit larger than the US of A, and I doubt they are recording every carrier everywhere in the world, as the quoted text seems to imply. I get the severity of this security breach, but it doesn't make the NSA an omniscient being.

Styromaniac

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
This is why you should never trust hardware to do the job of encryption by itself. Sure, hardware might keep average Joe blackhat at bay, but it won't stop the NSA or any foreign agencies from spying on you. Considering the possibility the NSA won't be the only entity, I'd call this a global digital security threat. The only solutiois are to find software you trust or to encrypt/decrypt on paper. It's a matter of time before secure boot keys start being forged by rootkits if they aren't already. Crypto needs to update when computers become much faster, more efficient, or a mathematical proof either shows the crypto algorithm is reversible when it might be designed to be anything but that or the maths become faster with a new mathematical proof. Most hardware will not be able to update via firmware by the time an algorithm becomes shaky or weak. Even having the ability to update would be lucky if hardware is encrypting on bare metal.

TL;DR: Software and hand cryptos are your only saviors. Pick one or both.

sonny1973n10

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
@digitalexplosives
Are you telling me that you've never said anything or will never say anything that can be used against you in the court of law? I'm not saying of what you mean with your words. You just sound so sure that your words cannot be twisted and turned to be used against you.
Maybe a dummy like you wouldn't care about privacy but there are many people who can actually invent something and I'm sure that they don't want their works to be stolen and sabotaged by competitors. It's really a tragedy for human kind when there are people thinking like you.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Here is the damned problem with that kind of thinking: If they are listening to you, they can record you and with the NUMEROUS professional audio separation tools available to the government, if you piss off someone in government? They CAN make an incriminating recording of you admitting to some crime. Ranging from murder to child molestation/rape to assault with a deadly weapon.

G

You need to stop watching movies and taking them literally, You sir are an idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.