NT4 and XP

I have a server running NT4 and a workstation running XP
Pro. I have other work stations running win98. I would
like to get the win98 box to use the xp pro box's
printer. xp pro will no way let me browse to that
printer. resource not available OR wants a password for
IPC$. I have been all over googling and my 98 user is in
the xp users and has the same password (and it's on the
user mgr for domains the same too on the server)

To complicate things..............if I change my XP
machine to a workgroup and it is the same workgroup as
the 98 machine, THEN and only THEN can I get the xp
shared printer to work from the 98 box.

Now the thing that I think is hanging it up, is that I
have become aware that my XP box is not actually logging
into my server domain. I can map drives to the server
with the xp machine...........I can see any shared drive
on the server using the xp machine. But if I try to log
into the domain on XP's log in screen, I get an error
message of some sort....it's a fairly long thing which
essentially is screaming at me that it won't let me in
the domain.

So how can I get my XP box to join the server domain? I
ahve read lots on this also and I have tried many things
but somethings are a bit too Greek to me for me to figure
out what to do.

to join the domain, on the xp machine, right click My
Computer / properties / name