NTFS in a dual boot

asking11220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I own a Window 98 SE full version.

I know its possible to dual boot using Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 Professional.

To dual boot, do I need to buy a Windows 2000 full version or is the upgrade version sufficient?

Also, if I divide the hard drive into two partition (one FAT16 file system, the other FAT32 file system) using a Maxtor formatting software, what happens if I convert the second partition (where I install Windows 2000 Profession) from FAT32 to NTFS file system?

I read from Anandtech FAQ that this is possible. I know Windows 98 SE cannot see the partition that has a NTFS file system; however, what I like to know is whether the dual boot system is going to be corrupted if I convert the second partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

Once the second partition is converted from FAT32 to NTFS, that partition becomes invisible to Windows 98 SE. Does that mean the program that make dual boot possible ( probably stored in the C: drive) also will have difficulty locating Windows 2000 Professional becausing using the NTFS file system?

Is there a way to convert the FAT32 partition into a NTFS file system before I install Windows 2000 Professional?

Another question, how can I install Windows 2000 Professional if Windows 98 SE cannot see a partition that uses a NTFS file system?

Is installing Windows 2000 Professional dependent on Windows 98 SE or can I boot from the CD-ROM drive to install Windows 2000 Professional to the second partition (NTFS)? I never done it, so I like to know what is possible.

Your the expert.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I hope that might help you a little:

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/en/advanced/help/wgs_gs_03011.htm" target="_new"> Before you dual boot </A>

<A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/community/stories/main/0,9057,2662085,00.html" target="_new"> Win2000 and Win 98 dual boot </A>

And there’re lots you can find on the dual boot topic by Search Board on this page.