NTLDR DUal Boot Error

jancalen55

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Hello,
I've looked through the forum but haven't really seen an anwser to this:
I have XP installed on one drive and Windows 7 installed on another. My system is configured as dual boot.I had XP installed first and then Win 7. My XP drive has failed and I need to replace it.
When I remove the bad drive i get the 'NTLDR Missing' when I try to boot to Win7. When I plug the bad drive in again I can boot from Win7 but I have to go through the check disk menu beacause of the bad drive to continue. I press skip to continue booting into Win7. How can I make just my Win7 hard drive as the boot drive? I have gone into the bios to boot from my win7 drive but I still get the NTLDR error message when I have the XP drive removed.
I have an Asus P6T board; Intel
i7 920CPU
Thanks for the help.
Jan

Solution
Hello jancalen55;
You'll want to repair the bootloader.
The easy way to do that is boot from your Win7 Installation disk and choose the Repair Your Computer option.
windows-7-repair-your-computer.JPG

When it's time to reinstall XP to get your dual boot option back follow the guidance here.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

jancalen55

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Thanks for the info. I'll try that as long as it doesn't ruin all my data on the Win 7 hard drive. I have Norton Ghost 15 installed. I tried a test back up of my C:/ drive but it wouldn't load because the XP disk is bad. My Win 7 drive is backed up as a
(C:/) (D:/) combo beacuse the boot loader is on the C;/ drive. So I'm not sure it will look for the C:/ drive in case I have to recover my Win 7 drive.
Jan