NTLDR is missing, trying to boot from Windows 7 install disk

am10159

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I am trying to install windows 7. There is currently no windows installation on the hard drive. When I try to boot from the windows 7 DVD it skips the "press any key to boot from disk..." and goes right to saying NTLDR is missing. press ctrl-alt-del to restart. restarting does nothing to change this.

I have tried changing the boot order to boot from the DVD/CD first, and nothing changes there, either.

The dvd drive works on other systems, as with the hard drive.

The hard drive does have some data on it, but I planned on formatting it with the windows 7 DVD before installing windows. Do I need to format the hard disk first?

I have used the install disk before with no problems at all, so there isn't any problem with the DVD itself

Solution
check in the bios in advance mode. under boot devices and cd-roms. with new bios (i seen in on my asus mb) there are not the old cd-rom and the same drive called efi cd-rom. the efi is a boot device under the new bios if the efi gui bios is the first boot bios. check that under cd-rom the non efi rom drive is set as the first device. and under the efi gui boot bios drop the cd-rom as the first boot device. on power up check that the sata/ide chipset is scanning for the cd-rom it should have the seek led blink a bit at post. also check what sata port the cd-rom is on. with newer mb there the intel sata chipset and the third party chipset..your boot hd and cd-rom should be on the intel chipset.

am10159

Honorable
May 25, 2012

It is seen in the bios, and I did set it as the first boot option. Still have the problem

check in the bios in advance mode. under boot devices and cd-roms. with new bios (i seen in on my asus mb) there are not the old cd-rom and the same drive called efi cd-rom. the efi is a boot device under the new bios if the efi gui bios is the first boot bios. check that under cd-rom the non efi rom drive is set as the first device. and under the efi gui boot bios drop the cd-rom as the first boot device. on power up check that the sata/ide chipset is scanning for the cd-rom it should have the seek led blink a bit at post. also check what sata port the cd-rom is on. with newer mb there the intel sata chipset and the third party chipset..your boot hd and cd-rom should be on the intel chipset.

Solution
G

Also make sure your DVD drive is seen in the bios. You should see it listed in the boot up.
iPad.gif

am10159

Honorable
May 25, 2012
well it turns out I was derping really bad and was using a CD drive... I have never been so embarrased :D wasn't my drive so I wasn't sure, and the labels told me nothing at all :p

thanks for the help everyone

sarjan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Percy Jennifer

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I had the problem and couldn't believe it. After reading other peoples remarks i replaced my CD-ROM and the problem went away. Windows 7 installed with no NTLDR missing. The CD-ROM has always worked and I still have faith in it to keep working. Am wondering if Windows 7 is just a bit more fussy then all the other programs that I install.