Question ntokrnlmp.exe seemingly random blue screens ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 26, 2023
What I've noticed is blue screens that when googled will always lead back to drivers, memory, or virus. I dont believe it's a virus since it started very shortly after the pc was built and I had antivirus pretty early on as well. I seem to be able to avoid it if I have a game running in the background and that seems to let me reliably do something else. I dont have any problems actually running anything or lag, stuff like that. Sometimes it's right when I close the game, or shortly after I close it and forgot that I need to have it in the background that i'll blue screen. It happens frequently when I walk away from my computer to do something in the other room and if I leave it on at night it will do it multiple times.

Ive been researching whenever I have time but recently Ive really taken a deep dive into it and I've seen maybe 10 or so different problems and solutions associated with the symptoms I notice. I'm not actually very knowledgeable when it comes to pc hardware or more of the deeper aspects of programs and drivers but I've tried making sure all the drivers are up to date and doing things such as sfc scan, chkdks scan, and some memory checks. A friend recommended that I "flash the bios" a while back so I've done that with seemingly no results as well. I have also reset my ram, and tested booting with each one individually (they both seem to work fine). I've tried cleaning out the inside of my pc while i was in messing with the ram, reset the graphics card, and replugged my ssd to make sure it was connected right. One of the forums I came across seemed to suggest a certain part I had wasn't working right after a windows update and suggested fresh installing windows to version 10 20H2 V2. Now I'm sitting with a fresh install and I'm still getting the same blue screen and dumps. I'm starting to get lost in all of the different things i've tried and checked and hope maybe someone might be able to guide me in the right direction. I'd be super grateful. Here's some specs if that helps and I have some spare thumb drives if I need to run a program through that or fresh install again or something like that.

processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz (One of the common parts i've seen people say is a problem while reading up on other peoples similar blue screens)
ram: 16.0 GB type(G Skill Intl hopefully this is the right info about it)
system type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
ssd: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1T
graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super
motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
psu: PowerSpec 550W model: PS 550BF

And I know often the dump files are shared but im unsure of how to format it, some people zip the file or use google drive so just let me know how you want me to share those.

Thanks for taking time to read

edit note: sorry I had to google how to find some of the specs, hopefully the update to them is what you needed

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023
So I’m still working on this problem. I’ve done a fresh instal making sure to clear out all partitions and not taking any files from previous setup. Still had bluescreens with only mouse and keyboard plugged in. Always ntkrnl or ntoskrnl being the victim. Kmode exception not handled, irql the codes I can remember. I ran driver verifier at some point but no longer have those dump files after fresh install. I, however, have plenty of new ones. I did try getting a new ram kit and still have bluescreens persisting. It seems like it would be a hardware issue. I was considering trying to change out to cpu after I take a closer look at it.

Mar 26, 2023
So I’m still working on this problem. I’ve done a fresh instal making sure to clear out all partitions and not taking any files from previous setup. Still had bluescreens with only mouse and keyboard plugged in. Always ntkrnl or ntoskrnl being the victim. Kmode exception not handled, irql the codes I can remember. I ran driver verifier at some point but no longer have those dump files after fresh install. I, however, have plenty of new ones. I did try getting a new ram kit and still have bluescreens persisting. It seems like it would be a hardware issue. I was considering trying to change out to cpu after I take a closer look at it.
here is a couple of recent mini dumps

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I got the chipset drivers directly from manufacturer website. Basically downloaded a thing that detected what drivers I needed and same kind of thing for gpu. All of the other drivers were through driver booster.
Not how to do it.
Get all the drivers for the motherboard from the manufacturer site for your specific board, video card from the manufacturer not like MSI but AMD if your using a AMD card, any other drivers like keyboard directly from the manufacturer.

Mar 26, 2023
Not how to do it.
Get all the drivers for the motherboard from the manufacturer site for your specific board, video card from the manufacturer not like MSI but AMD if your using a AMD card, any other drivers like keyboard directly from the manufacturer.
Alright, will do that but atm going to be cleaning cpu and reapplying thermal paste. I took everything all the way apart and saw that the thermal paste was crusty and dried out which seems like it would not be great lol. Will update after cleaning if there are any changes.

ubuysa

Distinguished
I got the chipset drivers directly from manufacturer website. Basically downloaded a thing that detected what drivers I needed and same kind of thing for gpu. All of the other drivers were through driver booster.
And that's most likely your problem right there.

Getting the chipset drivers from the motherboard vendor's website is perfect, running third-party driver search and install tools like Driver Booster is not. You have no idea whether they're finding the right driver nor where that driver came from. I see many BSODs caused by these kinds of tool finding the wrong or bad drivers. Drivers should be sourced from only these locations (and in this order)...
  1. The PC/laptop vendor's website (for commerical-builds)
  2. The motherboard vendor's website
  3. Windows Update (inc optional updates)
  4. The graphics card vendor's website
  5. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant (for Intel builds) or the AMD Driver & Support Tool (for AMD builds)
  6. The specific hardware device vendor's website
Using anything else is just asking for trouble.

If that were mine I would seriously consider another clean install from USB media, deleting all UEFI partitions. Then I'd run Windows Update repeatedly (and across reboots) until no more updates are found. Then look in Device Manager to see whether any devices are missing drivers. If so, check in optional updates in Windows Updates for any suitable driver updates in there and install them. Failing that use the list above to find the right driver.

Avoid the following....
  • Driver search and install tools
  • Tune-up and performance enhancing tools (especially so-called RAM cleaners which really are just snake oil)
  • Registry cleaners (the Windows registry does not need cleaning)