Question ntoskrnl.exe+3fdaf0 BSOD. Can anyone help me read the mini dump?

May 14, 2024
Hello,

I've been having BSOD issues for years now with varying degree's of frequency. I've tried the usual stuff many times. Running sfc checks in the command prompt. Updating everything. Going into the BIOS to ensure no overclocking is happening. But BSOD always seem to come back, and I don't know what to do. I also cant find any more updates for my problematic drivers...

I am using the "Blue Screen View" software, so I am able to capture logs of when a BSOD happens, what causes it, and the dump path etc. I don't know what to do with the dumps, or how to read them. Is there any professional out there that can read the minidumps for me and help me pinpoint what is causing the crashes?

Thanks.

May 7, 2024
The dump indicates that netr28x.sys, the driver for your MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter (Wi-Fi card/dongle), attempted to dereference a null pointer. Disabling your Wi-Fi adapter in Device Manager or disconnecting it from the device if it's a dongle would be a good first step to ensure that the issue does in fact lie solely with that driver and it's not some other hardware or drivers causing issues. I would also check for any updates for that driver from your manufacturer's page if it's a laptop or right from MediaTek.

Reactions: ubuysa
May 14, 2024
The dump indicates that netr28x.sys, the driver for your MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter (Wi-Fi card/dongle), attempted to dereference a null pointer. Disabling your Wi-Fi adapter in Device Manager or disconnecting it from the device if it's a dongle would be a good first step to ensure that the issue does in fact lie solely with that driver and it's not some other hardware or drivers causing issues. I would also check for any updates for that driver from your manufacturer's page if it's a laptop or right from MediaTek.
Hmm, very interesting. Other BSOD's I've been having recently also pointed to the MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter.... Previously when I tried to disable the Wi-Fi adapter, a BSOD occurred for critical structure corruption. (Not sure if that was just a coincidence,) I've also tried checking for MediaTek updates. I've searched to the best I could, but I think I have the most up to date MediaTek driver, and I'm still getting issues related to the Adapter Driver.

If I remove my current NIC hardware from my computer, will that also remove /disable the driver? My current NIC card is pretty old, so my hypothesis is that my card is simply too outdated, and that is causing incompatibility issues.

May 7, 2024
Hmm, very interesting. Other BSOD's I've been having recently also pointed to the MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter.... Previously when I tried to disable the Wi-Fi adapter, a BSOD occurred for critical structure corruption. (Not sure if that was just a coincidence,) I've also tried checking for MediaTek updates. I've searched to the best I could, but I think I have the most up to date MediaTek driver, and I'm still getting issues related to the Adapter Driver.

If I remove my current NIC hardware from my computer, will that also remove /disable the driver? My current NIC card is pretty old, so my hypothesis is that my card is simply too outdated, and that is causing incompatibility issues.
Removing the hardware should prevent Windows from loading the driver, yes.

ubuysa

Distinguished
I certainly agree that the netr28x.sys driver is the most likely cause of this particular BSOD. The version you have installed is very old too...
Rich (BB code):
4: kd> lmvmnetr28x
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff808`fd210000 fffff808`fd484000   netr28x    (pdb symbols)          c:\symcache\netr28x.pdb\7ECE113607384F3EAC336BCC6DB4D31D1\netr28x.pdb
    Loaded symbol image file: netr28x.sys
    Mapped memory image file: c:\symcache\netr28x.sys\55684D03274000\netr28x.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\netr28x.sys
    Image name: netr28x.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Fri May 29 14:26:59 2015 (55684D03)
    CheckSum:         0026E14A
    ImageSize:        00274000
    File version:     5.0.57.0
    Product version:  5.0.57.0
    File flags:       8 (Mask 3F) Private
    File OS:          40004 NT Win32
    File type:        3.6 Driver
    File date:        00000000.00000000
    Translations:     0409.04b0
    Information from resource tables:
        CompanyName:      MediaTek Inc.
        ProductName:      MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapters
        InternalName:     netr28.sys
        OriginalFilename: netr28.sys
        ProductVersion:   5.00.57.0000
        FileVersion:      5.00.57.0000
        FileDescription:  MediaTek 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver
        LegalCopyright:   MediaTek Inc. (C)2014. All rights reserved.
That date means that the version you have installed pre-dates Windows 10 and is thus quite likely to be incompatible with Windows 10. You'd need to visit the OEM vendor of the wireless card for a driver update for Windows 10 (if there is one)..