Question ntoskrnl.exe BSOD, memtest and chkdsk good ?

Apr 28, 2024
I've been getting a lot of issues recently with browser tabs crashing and BSOD. I used bluescreenview to see all the BSOD were related to ntoskrnl.exe. I'm having a hard time understanding what to do going forward with just google searches.

I get no signs of problems after running memtest and chkdsk on drives. I've done a clean install of win10 on two hard drives. On both new installs I'm unable to install software, saying they are corrupt. I tried to use prime95, with the app crashing almost immetiately with a blend torture test. Smallest FFTs test ran for 14 hours or so, results show everything passed, but it appeared my system rebooted so I think it crashed after that.

Early on I had crashes while transferring data on external drives. forgetting where I saw it there was a notification about USB drivers. System wouldn't reboot unless I unplugged external drives. Installing new drivers seems to not do anything, or the drivers would fail to install.

my system:
Intel Core i9-13900KF 3 GHz 24-core
Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capallix 75 CFM liquid CPU cooler
Asus TUF Gaming z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 mobo
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB 2x32 DDR5-6000 CL30
ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME SSD
EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LHR GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR GPU
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATM Mid case
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum ATX PSU

I've done a clean install of win10 on two hard drives. On both new installs I'm unable to install software, saying they are corrupt.
that the OS is corrupt or the software installation packages are?

is this installed from a freshly made MS Media Creation Tool or some other source?
and are you installing all of the latest drivers straight from the motherboard product support download pages?

Apr 28, 2024
sorry for the confusion, the software installation packages. Windows 10 installed on both drives. I was unable to create a fresh install from the MS media creation tool as the running the software would fail. I used the original install disc. Now that I think about it the other problem I had was my ethernet connection wasn't recognized during install and I needed to install wifi drivers (the only thing that installed fine) to connect to the internet later.

I used the original install disc
if this has continued to happen over multiple installations i would consider the media bad.
just use another system(friend, family, neighbor, etc) to create the latest installation package directly from MS.

Apr 28, 2024
I was able to use another system to create a new install from a USB drive, but there was no change in behavior. Still fails to install drivers and software packages, crashing web pages etc.

ubuysa

Distinguished
When you upload dumps please make them publicly available ('anyone with the link').

Given the problems you're reporting I would first suspect RAM....
  1. Download Memtest86 (free), use the imageUSB.exe tool extracted from the download to make a bootable USB drive containing Memtest86 (1GB is plenty big enough). Do this on a different PC, because you can't fully trust yours at the moment.
  2. Then boot that USB drive on your PC, Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots.
  3. If no errors have been found after the four iterations of the 13 different tests that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another four iterations. Even a single bit error is a failure.
Let us know how that goes.

Apr 28, 2024
updated link, thanks for letting me know.

I ran two memtests with Memtest86 before but to be safe tried two more with a bootable usb created on another machine as you said. 0 errors

ubuysa

Distinguished
OK, then it's unlikely to be a RAM issue. Based on what you said here however I suspect that your problem (which is clearly hardware) is either RAM or the CPU...

tried to use prime95, with the app crashing almost immetiately with a blend torture test. Smallest FFTs test ran for 14 hours or so, results show everything passed, but it appeared my system rebooted so I think it crashed after that.
Small FFTs generally stress the CPU more than RAM, large FFTs stress RAM more than the CPU, and Blend is a mixture of both. A properly cooled and stable CPU should be able to run all three Prime95 tests pretty much indefinitely. My PC certainly can.

TBH I don't believe that cooler is good enough for an i9-13900, that's a VERY hot chip. I'm only running an i5-13400 CPU but I have an H150i Elite cooler on that (in a 5000D Airflow case). Can you download HWMonitor (free), run that, expand the CPU temps section so we can see all cores, and post two screen shots@
  • Post one screenshot of HWMonitor when the PC is completely idle.
  • Post one screenshot of HWMonitor when it's running the biggest load you can throw at it.
BTW There is a known issue with the i9-13900, and the i9-14900, that causes then to crash in some games...
https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...es-Windows-11-with-apps-games-and/m-p/1593504
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...game-crashes-on-top-end-core-i9-desktop-cpus/
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...blame-other-high-end-intel-cpus-also-affected

Apr 28, 2024
thanks for the info!

I ran prime95 on smallest FFTs test as that's the only one that doesn't crash prime95. The others seems to crash the software before even getting started.

cpu-idle.jpg
cpu-stress.jpg

ubuysa

Distinguished
thanks for the info!

I ran prime95 on smallest FFTs test as that's the only one that doesn't crash prime95. The others seems to crash the software before even getting started.
Since this doesn't look like a RAM problem, and smallFFTs run just fine, I think you might be suffering from the known i9-13900 issue. Check on your motherboard website for a BIOS update that mitigates against these issues.

Apr 28, 2024
Updated BIOS and looked more at the settings related to the i9-13900 issues. Initally booting after that was giving me a 0xc000000e BSOD and was failing to do anything. after reinstalling windows a few times it seems like it may be better. Things haven't been crashing or failing. In the meantime I suppose I should upgrade my cooler. Thanks!