Question ntoskrnl.exe, hal.dll BSOD

drizzyb

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
As stated in the title, I have been having issues with BSOD ( bluescreenviewer says ntoskrnl and hal.dll). This usually happens when watching movies, youtube, streams even surfing on web. It doesn't seem to happen when playing games like r6s, bf4.

I had this issue in the past and I stress tested all my components, I also sent everything to the official service to get it tested and it all came back fine. I then sent the whole computer to a tech guy that got it fixed, apparently there was a malware issue and it did fix it. Fast forward a year or so, I reinstalled my windows and I got the same BSOD back. When I try to use malware programs it doesn't find anything malicious. My drivers are up to date, I even tried using older drivers, my temperatures are low, I checked the volts and they are fine.

Also when BSOD happens there is a loud noise coming out of my speakers.

I would love to hear some feedbacks, any ideas. Here are my specs:
CPU: i5 4690 3.5GHz
RAM: 8gb ddr3 kingston hyperX fury 1600 Mhz
MOB: Gigabyte H97-HD3
GPU: GeForce GTX 760 - 2GB, WINDFORCE Oc version
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 - 1ER162
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250gb

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you go to c windows/minidump
copy the dump files to documents
upload the copies from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Would the error happen to be a WHEA error? Only as with ntsokrnl and Hal.dll mentioned, that would be the error I would guess you got? explains why it persists through a clean install. Its likely hardware, we just need to work out what.

we could wait for dump results, since I could be wrong about error you got

NTOSKRNL = weindows Kernel. It sits between Software and Hardware. Windows doesn't work with out it.
hal.dll = Hardware Abstraction Layer - It sits between Kernel and hardware

So since its not a K processor, I don't need to ask about overclocks.
WHEA errors can be caused by drivers as well, though its normally just overclocking drivers.
Is MSI afterburner installed?

Could test processor anyway - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

problem with WHEA errors as it can be any hardware. Any internal cards not mentioned? Like a WiFi card?

drizzyb

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
https://we.tl/t-XIK05rK1a5 - here is the minidump

Yes, the error is WHEA. I don't have MSI afterburner installed, my drivers are up to date, I also tried updating bios which didn't help. I don't have any other internal cards.

I also did a test with the link you gave me - Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it PASSED

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will ask someone called @gardenman to convert dump files for me, I may not get a chance to look at them for a few hours though.

Good that CPU passed, its not often it is CPU and we didn't want it to be anyway.

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

I doubt updating bios would help as if PC worked fine for a year without it, it should stiill work.

loud noise, btw, could just be a sound drivers make when the PC crashes.

Does it always bsod if you watch Youtube or just sometimes?

I would suggest taking GPU out and running off motherboard, but perhaps we wait to see if dump tells us anything first (I can't read them but gardenman has a program that converts them into a format I can read). Need to work out what isn't problem, so running without GPU would at least tell us if it changes anything.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/RjxF.html

File information:041819-4078-01.dmp (Apr 18 2019 - 10:22:56)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be lan drivers given they from 2015

May 05 2015 rt640x64.sys Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver

Realtek drivers used to be easy to find on their web site and then they redesigned it, and I can never find them now. Instead, try these drivers - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/realtek-lan-for-windows-10/ (I don't like 3rd party sites but I feel I was forced).

I seem to be seeing a lot of people with wifi drivers suddenly not working and causing WHEA errors this week...

drizzyb

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
I forgot to mention that since I have internal GPU as well, I tried taking my GTX 760 out and using only my intel internal GPU. It did seem like there were less BSODs but it still occurred. As for how often it happens, it's random. I could be watching youtube/movie for a hour or so and everything will be fine or I could have several BSODs in a span of few minutes.

I did memtest86 and I didn't get any errors.
I should mention that i'm not using wi-fi, could drivers still interrupt my system? I will try updating lan driver and will report back.