[SOLVED] ntoskrnl.exe, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problems out of the blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
BSOD, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, ntoskrnl.exe on Previously Fine Ryzen 3600 System- I originally posted on reddit

Hey, and thanks for your time.

EDIT: I also can see Kernel Power Event #41 in Event Viewer. I think this may be due to needing to hold down power to get out of frozen screens sometimes though.

I've been having a fairly frustrating issue with my PC for the past week or more that I cannot seem to figure out. My PC has been randomly freezing, just sits there completely frozen, and has been blue screening with multiple error messages. The most common error message is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error listed with ntoskrnl.exe. I have tried everything , reinstalled windows many times, installed windows on a different drive, ran driver verifier on all non-microsoft drivers, installed latest drivers for EVERYTHING, ran memtest86 with flying colors, updated to latest BIOS, incrementally installed all chipset drivers - everything I can think of and the internet suggests. The thing is, this setup has been running fine since Christmas, and now it BSODs all the time. It will let me play games undisturbed for an hour or more sometimes, but it always BSODs with the IRQL error eventually. I think that points to a windows update or driver update messing with things, but I have no idea which update might be known to have caused it. There have been many posts with this error but none that I have seen have solutions that have worked for me thus far.

I also get CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after about 30s - 1min after logging into safe mode only.

My specs: More detail at bottom

Ryzen 5 3600

Corsair LPX 16GB RAM

B450 Steel Legend Mobo

Samsung 850 EVO

GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition

Here's a link to many of the dump files I have accumulated recently, I think that they are kernel memory dumps, some might be automatic memory dumps. If you can help and want a different memory dump type, please let me know, it will not take long for me to generate one....

Some have different bugchecks than others.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JPyqFLHBVFtEa1qciSFjbTeEg5h_Z4P9

There were many many others but here is just a few. I've tried using windows debug tools but I don't know what to look for and how to identify what the problem could be with them.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for considering!

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: GTX 1080 AMP! Edition 8GB

CPU: Stock Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: B450 Steel Legend https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450 steel legend/index.asp

RAM: Corsair 3000mhz 16GB (2x8GB) RAM https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233859?item=9SIA2F84GM9354&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-buyvpc-_-memory+%28desktop+memory%29-_-9SIA2F84GM9354&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA19IlZEicW4oifByO55TjKsX5LrRsGcnGjX8DMUf01iGFlpM4Ni9_hoC5fAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

PSU: 750w

Operating System & Version: Windows 10, fully updated

GPU Drivers: 445.75

Chipset Drivers: Latest (2.04)

Background Applications: Unsure

Solution
Generally, if a BSOD survives many installs, its not windows, its hardware.

Having newest GPU drivers with a 10 series card isn't always best idea as I seen the newer drivers cause havoc on similar systems, for the last 6 months or so. But I have yet to see them cause the clock watchdog timeout although it is possible as it can be caused by hardware or software.

I have asked a friend to look at the dumps. ntoskrnl = windows kernel. it is victim, not cause.

I also get CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after about 30s - 1min after logging into safe mode only.

thats odd. Almost makes it clear its not software.. it could be a built in windows driver but thats rare. As in, I never seen it.
Have you run Prime 95 on CPU? -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Generally, if a BSOD survives many installs, its not windows, its hardware.

Having newest GPU drivers with a 10 series card isn't always best idea as I seen the newer drivers cause havoc on similar systems, for the last 6 months or so. But I have yet to see them cause the clock watchdog timeout although it is possible as it can be caused by hardware or software.

I have asked a friend to look at the dumps. ntoskrnl = windows kernel. it is victim, not cause.

thats odd. Almost makes it clear its not software.. it could be a built in windows driver but thats rare. As in, I never seen it.
Have you run Prime 95 on CPU? - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Solution
May 12, 2020
Hmmm, was really hoping GPU isn’t faulty. It’s so strange, I had hour+ gaming sessions over the past few days until it would BSOD, but sometimes the UEFI boots into a BSOD straightaway though. Have not tried Prime95, was hoping to fix before needing to run that all day.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://hydratedcapybara.htmlpasta.com/
File information:051120-9421-01.dmp (May 11 2020 - 21:26:41)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:051120-9343-01.dmp (May 11 2020 - 23:22:15)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:051120-8890-01.dmp (May 11 2020 - 21:42:42)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:051120-8875-01.dmp (May 11 2020 - 21:04:16)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:050920-5218-01.dmp (May 10 2020 - 00:56:22)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:050920-5156-01.dmp (May 9 2020 - 23:31:13)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:050920-5140-01.dmp (May 10 2020 - 01:20:13)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

Dump File 050920-4921-01.dmp is invalid.

File information:050920-29656-01.dmp (May 9 2020 - 23:09:48)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

The following dump file was 0 bytes long which means it's invalid:
051120-9234-01.dmp
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450 steel legend/index.asp
You have the latest BIOS already, version 3.20.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 12, 2020
1st one was a lan operation
2 is likely lan drivers only cause its discord and since 4 was also discord and showed obvious signs of lan, its a fair assumption.
4th one was a lan operation

I can't really tell with the rest.
Try updating realtek lan drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

none appear to be GPU errors.
Sorry for being so unfamiliar with this, but which thing should I DL from that link you gave? There’s many options. I just have an Ethernet cord plugged into the MB, not a separate card - but I don’t know what that changes.

May 12, 2020
under windows
Win10 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505689616124)
Just had another BSOD. This one is a bit different I think, its says ntfs.sys. It had a good uptime after installing the Realtek Lan drivers and was fine when I played Star Citizen for a bit. I installed java offline 64bit and ran around in a modded minecraft server for a bit and closed it. I came back and the pc was at the login screen, I checked whocrashed and sure enough there was a BSOD while I was gone.

minidump (complete):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vBhhDoVe8il0amXyuSTQdnXRRkaCipzl

EDIT: Was just sitting at PC googling BSOD and PC shut off and restarted on its own.

EDIT#2: Just happened again while in a game. PC shuts off with no BSOD or warning, then restarts.

EDIT#4: PC froze while using it. Mouse stopped moving, then jumped to where I was moving it, and then completely froze. It then got DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD.

EDIT#5: Aaaaaand IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on startup.

next minidump:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CFvb-VW7yuEnuF9jAxi_s5BfWLCu884u

After searching around, I saw a suggestion about SATA controllers to fix DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and I see that I have FOUR sata controllers. Is this a problem?

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://burrieramericanfoxhound.htmlpasta.com/

File information:051320-4812-01.dmp (May 13 2020 - 21:24:49)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

The 051320-4750-01.dmp dump file was 0 bytes long which means it's invalid.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 12, 2020
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://burrieramericanfoxhound.htmlpasta.com/

File information:051320-4812-01.dmp (May 13 2020 - 21:24:49)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

The 051320-4750-01.dmp dump file was 0 bytes long which means it's invalid.

I don't think discord is actually the culprit, heres a further collection of dump files that ive accumulated. Hopefully these arent corrupted as the normal BSOD sequence of events seemed to "happen" with these crashes:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JXL7am0KYLjJXCRTdUEQu4pbOaZBXP02

Thanks so much for your time!

gardenman

Splendid
Usually software doesn't cause crashes (unless it has it's own drivers, like most antivirus). Therefore we usually don't suspect software such as Discord as causing the crash. But it can point us in a direction. We know Discords connects to the internet, so it could be a LAN driver that is the issue. That combined with what we've seen so far points at the LAN driver (or hardware). But, that's only a guess.

New dump files results: https://ungenialbreakfast.htmlpasta.com/
File information:051320-5187-01.dmp (May 14 2020 - 00:32:52)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: StarCitizen.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File information:051320-4921-01.dmp (May 13 2020 - 23:32:22)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:051320-4703-01.dmp (May 14 2020 - 00:36:42)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Taskmgr.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:051320-29968-01.dmp (May 13 2020 - 14:18:20)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

The other 2 dumps I've already seen above.

Colif

Win 11 Master
May 12, 2020
Discord was the victim, its what crashed. Very rarely will that report actually show the cause.
I think the cause is the Nvidia drivers I mentioned already. I know you are on different drivers to last time I said this but perhaps running DDU and then running windows update after to let it find drivers, will work better - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Ok, just used DDU and then let windows update install NVIDIA drivers. I also did these two things as a sort of "what if I try this" approach:

-Moved the Ethernet cable running to my PC to a different LAN slot on router. (Because LAN operations seemed to be at fault earlier.

- Moved a power supply wire that was running in my case behind where the processor is (right next to the back plate) so that it runs along the side of the case. (Thought it might be causing some interference or something.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have an answer for that one

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

who crashed almost always blames it. Its the victim. It is what crashed but it doesn't tell us why.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://chewierraccoon.htmlpasta.com/

File information:051420-4890-01.dmp (May 14 2020 - 11:38:43)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
its strange the bios isn't showing any system information. So I assume its 3.20
i can't really tell what cause is. There are some dumps I just look at and go what.

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

May 12, 2020
its strange the bios isn't showing any system information. So I assume its 3.20
i can't really tell what cause is. There are some dumps I just look at and go what.

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
I've done both those commands MANY times - but here goes again! - literally has BSOD while typing this message. IRQL again. Hm.

May 12, 2020
I've done both those commands MANY times - but here goes again! - literally has BSOD while typing this message. IRQL again. Hm.

Further note - I cant even get into the computer now to try anything without IRQL BSOD or freezing and then getting DPC_Watchdog_Violation

Another note- could I try putting my gpu into a separate PCI slot? There’s 2 on my MB, would it be worth a try or would the second slot not work?

May 12, 2020
I now have driver verifier running on ALL drivers. I will post the dump after I BSOD soon.

EDIT: Ran both the commands you gave me successfully without any errors at all. They took forever to run compared how fast they ran when I ran them before, though I had driver verifier running this time so I guess the performance hit made it take longer.

Also, my PC is apparently refusing to BSOD while driver verifier is running on all drivers. Weird. I guess it will take a while for it to BSOD if it will at all while driver verifier is running. I would try to run a game in an effort to induce a BSOD, but I don't really want to try to play a game with the performance impact that driver verifier has haha. I guess I'll just have to give it time.

Edit: Pc froze completely without BSOD. Only option is hard restart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.