ntoskrnl.exe system service exception bsod ~windows 8.1 64bit

Blake Kerwood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Just built a system a little over a month ago and put windows 8.1 pro 64bit on it because it's the newest OS and I'm getting ready to leave for college so I put what I figured was the best OS on it. I'm having bsod's probably every half hour to an hour when I'm doing basic things, even just sitting on the desktop. I've flashed the bios, downloaded and installed all new drivers for every component from the asus website, and made sure all my settings in the bios are accurate to reflect the capabilities of my hardware. Also, nothing is overclocked.

The BSOD's I'm having are system_service_exception and ntfs_file_system. I downloaded and installed the 64bit version of bluescreenview and ntoskrnl.exe consistently shows up as the faulting module. I'm not sure how to post minidumps but if someone could give me tips on how to do that, I'd be more than happy to attach them (I'm fairly new to building PCs and troubleshooting these kinds of issues).

My PC specs are as follows:

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo
AMD FX9590 cpu (noctua nh-d14 cooler)
32gb kit of G.Skill ripjaws 2133mhz (downclocked to 1866mhz)
AMD Radeon R9 290x
1000watt 80plus gold certified corsair psu

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am trying to get this computer running stable before I leave for college in a little under a month. Thanks in advance.

Very common for a BIOS to incorrectly set the command rate to 1N on memory modules that require a 2N command rate such as your memory.
You should confirm your memory settings to be 11-11-11-30-2N at 1.50v~1.60v and 2133MHz
and boot and run memtest86 to confirm your RAM is running correctly.

(or set the command rate and see if your windows system works as expected)
Sometimes the motherboard vendor will update the BIOS with the correct secondary timing and list them as Memory compatibility fixes
so be sure to update your BIOS and it might set the correct defaults for you.

Blake Kerwood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
already have all that stuff setup in the bios to the specs as per the box, even after I flashed the bios this morning with the newest version....I'm getting kind of frustrated but I'm hoping I can find out what the issue is soon enough

if you have the memory set to the correct spec in the BIOS, you need to confirm that memtest86 works as expected.

great, next next you need to confirm there is no file corruption in the core windows files. You would do this
by starting a elevated command prompt (windows key+x then type A)
then run
Sfc.exe /scannow <-----this will check core windows files for corruption

if no files are corrupt, you would want to do a malwarebytes malware scan
if there is a corruption that can not be repaired you would run:
(windows key+x+ type A) (start elevated cmd.exe prompt)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
this will attempt to repair any corrupted files using a trusted online version

if you don't find malware, or any corruption reported from the SFC.exe
you will want to update your chipset drivers for your CPU (get them from AMD)
in particular you want to update any USB drivers.

you would also want to post your latest memory dump (.dmp) file to a cloud server with public access
and it can be looked at in the windows debugger and maybe we can see a likely cause of the failure.