News Nuclear-Powered Crypto Plant Planned for PA Next Year. What Could Go Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously they haven't even looked at what is entailed in actually building a nuclear power station. Even if everything went through perfectly it would be no less than 15-20 years to build it. And they'll have to deal with spent cores, worn out steam generators and such every 2 years or so. I seriously doubt they can mine enough to pay for this. Reality is that this won't happen at all.

Reactions: bigdragon
Unless the US comes out against it & restricts any US banks from dealing with/enabling exchanges to USD, this madness doesn't seem like it's going to stop. Way too many greedy people, including ones in power, think they can make money off this due to lack of any control/regulations, and they will go to great lengths to do so. The long-term waste & damage is for someone else to deal with later!

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Sell power to the people, provide power to hospitals to cure the sick, power laptops so children can learn during pandemic, or keep it all and mine bit coin? 🤔. Screw the better good and society, give me my profits. 🤑

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Pennsylvania? Out of all states to try this? I hope they don't put it on another island!

Have to do something with coal going out of fashion. Just curious, is this on the West or East side of the Mountains? I am one the East side and would like the illusion of a wall between me and negligent greed.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
No worries, we only hurt ourselves. The planet will be fine no matter what stupidity we commit while on it. In a couple million years we will be gone and the earth's ecosystem will have long been back in balance.

I'm so glad I'm old enough and don't have kids so I don't care about the destruction of the planet.

Reactions: gargoylenest

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Cant wait that plant to buy 20000+ 4060ti or what ever so that people in USA can not buy gpu in the next gen too…

Lack of GPU is least of worries. Cryptocurrency consumes energy without producing anything real or providing a service. If power companies can make more mining with the energy they produce or selling it miners, how will I get the energy I need to power my computer to defend the legal rights of my clients? How will my daughter's get the energy they need to power their computers to complete their school work? How will the hospital get the energy it needs to keep my father alive?

We are moving past hurting gamers to hurting all of society. Enough is enough! Congress needs to stop worrying about what happened on January 6th, and start worrying about a real problem on the horizon, before we are all in the dark.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
I wanted to write something sarcastic, but I think I'll just defer to ConfusedCounsel on this. Governments really need to understand that this is a pointless waste of energy that should be outlawed.

Hopefully Ethereum's move to proof-of-stake will help to put a bit more reason into crypto.

Reactions: ConfusedCounsel
Jul 13, 2021
What exactly is meant with 'environmentally friendly'?
The plant needs to be build which has an impact on the environment.
The waste material needs to be taken care off. Which we still don't know how to do.
And what about mining uranium for fuel?
Not even talking about when something goes wrong.

Seriously unbelievable

maik80

Commendable
May 21, 2021
In the US, can a private company own a nuclear power plant? LOL And who is accessing enriched uranium or disposing of the fuel?

Reactions: salgado18
Status
Not open for further replies.