Number of fans vs placement

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
I want to put one fan under my gpu , 2 fans in the front (one in the middle and one on the top) and one fan in the back. Should the exhaust fan be faster? Will it make a difference if I buy corsair sp120 or be quiet pure wings 2? Should I use 3 fans in the front , 2 under my gpu and one in the back? One on the front , two under the gpu and one in the back? I can only use 120mm fans. In conclusion I do have founders edition card. I want to get the as good result as possible with the lowest ammount of fans. Here is a link to my case so you can analyze everything. Keep that in mind that the bottom fan on the front does have only a little access to push the air through the case.: https://www.morele.net/obudowa-silentiumpc-regnum-rg1w-spc153-774109/ Sorry for the polish site just look at the pictures. Hope you get what I mean. :)

Solution
You have the ability to try different setups and decide yourself which is best.

My suggestion is to use two front intakes and one rear exhaust; no more.

No doubt, you will get other suggestions; try them all.
With an FE card you must pay strict attention to intakes versus exhausts.... with Intake fans having to deal with the resistance of the inlet filters and the dust that builds up on them, a good 'rule pf thumb" is to have 3 intakes for every 2 exhausts. In your case, Id have every fan blowing in except the rear.

Pay attention to intake airflow first.

Whatever comes in will exit somewhere taking heat with it.

Love the FE coolers, they get heat directly out the back of the case.

I would use two or three 120mm front intakes.
It looks like you can have them filtered.
That is great. If all your intake air comes from one source and is filtered, you will have a clean case.
I would use only one 120mm fan as exhaust in the rear, mainly for directional purposes.
If you make the exhaust too strong, it will draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.

This setup is very good for a tower type air cooler for the cpu.

1. The problem with the FE coolers is they can't cool themselves and reference upper tier cards cards throttle.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/30.html

Idle temperatures are good, and so are gaming temperatures - sufficiently far away from the 82°C cutoff beyond which Boost 3.0 will reduce clocks. This means that unlike most previous reference cards from NVIDIA, the GTX 1060 Founders Edition does not suffer from thermal throttling.

Buy a reference 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti and you're buying a pre-gimped card.

2. With inadequate case flow, the blower style cooler could be an advantage. Provide adequate case air flow (2 in / 1 out) and that advantage disappears.

3. In a typical well designed case and provided user doesn't skimp on fans, you will be providing one complete air change of the entire case volume from 1 to 2 times per second.

4. With a custom water cooled system, the math shows that about 60% of the heat is conveyed to the radiator, the rest is radiated off component surfaces. Think about it, if folks are using 2 x 120mm CLCs to cool their 90 watt CPUs, why can GPU CLCs get away with just a 1 x 120mm on a 300 watt GFX card ? In addition, the blower style cooler has to exhuast all that air thru teeny openings in the back of the card which provide high resistance reducing air flow. With adequate air supply into the case, and the giant rear case grilles and multiple vented slot covers, the cooling process is vastly more efficient.

Our test bed utilizes 6 temp sensors, a 6 channel digital display (both accurate to 0.1C) and a fog machine. Everything above a 1060 throttles with blower style coolers. We have yet to observe any interior case temp reduction with a blower style cooler ... remeber wh

linkeds2

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
+1 that you should have more fans on intake than exhaust exhaust. Reason being is that you want positive air pressure inside your case to prevent air being sucked in from an unfiltered crack in the case. ideally, unless you have a radiator at the top or the back that needs a fan directly on it, you can have all of the top, front, and bottom fans on intake. This will have all intake air filtered and the air will exhaust through the vents at the rear. Your case should stay pretty clean.

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
I do have only one slot for the exhaust fan. I am planning to do 2 intake fans (as one on the bottom would give much air due to a case) 1 exhaust fan and one fan under the gpu (I have got 10 cm of space it's the covering space for the cables and psu) so it will give more air to the card. What do you think about it? Or should I make 2 intake fans 2 fans under the gpu and one exhaust fan? :)