number of OS installs?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Okay, I'm not sure where to ask this question but this section of the forum seems as good as any.

I was wondering how many installs you can make with XP retail version. I believe it's unlimited but I want to make sure. I'm buying a 2nd computer and I'm not sure which one I want XP on. Could I install on one and if I change my mind, install it on the other one? I would format whatever one doesn't have it so it wouldn't be on both computers. I only want it on one anyway so that I can let it update freely. I don't think you have to call Microsoft or worry about being stopped at some point of the install (if you have previously installed). I think that applies to OEM versions of Windows XP. I'm not exactly sure how upgrades work regarding this but my version is a retail box which has never been installed before. So, the question is, if you install on one computer but later decide you want the OS on another computer, will you run into any issues or problems (if you have the retail OS).

Thanks in advance to any answers and/or comments.

Btw, the other computer will be installed with a Linux distro (although I have a copy of Windows 2000).

mayers57

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
The first time you register it takes a snapshot of your hardware. If your hardware snapshot has changed significantly from the last time you registered then that sets off the flag. Otherwise you can install it as many times as you wish.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

That's what I figured. Thanks for that confirmation!