Nvida Updates Its GPU Roadmap at GTC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
nvidia is really saying,"we'll get there when tsmc gets there. until then you'll just have to wait and buy our overpriced cards(gtx 650ti, gtx 680, titan)."
the jacket was the real highlight!
nvidia doesn't have a capable or existent cpu to compete against hsa. build the cpu first, brag later.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
So Maxwell in early 2014 by the looks of it. Glad I didn't wait.

The mobile side of things likes interesting but not relevant to me.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Stacking the RAM directly on top of the GPU doesn't seem like a very good solution thermally. I'll be interested to see if the benefits outweigh the likely lower clock speed. On the plus side they should be much more efficient, running at lower voltages and clock rates.

Not sure I would call the GTX 650 ti overpriced(I have one from MSI in my media center and its power consumption is VERY good for media playback[while being nearly silent] and it can do some med/high setting gaming.).

When on sale its not bad. I mean for a small bit more, you get the 7850(this thing rapes the 650 ti).

The card seems to fit right into its price range.

Interesting that they are going with stacked dram and the lower latency will make for a huge boost performance wise but likely to be very expensive considering yield. I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate goes up with possible thermal tolerances with such a high IC density. I wonder what material they will be using for the IC to IC bonding and thermal interfacing between each IC...

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I The spirit of comic book fans here is how Kayla works in the naming convention. (For those of you wondering who Kayla is suppose to be)

"NVIDIA also showcased an mITX-like board called Kayla, which features a Tegra 3 SoC and a low power Kepler GPU, presumably from Logan."

For those of you who watch the Xmen origins movie for wolverine she was his wife in the movie

"Kayla Silverfox was a mutant with the ability to persuade anyone she touched into doing what she wanted. Her sister is Emma Frost. After Logan left the Team X project and went back to Canada, Silverfox was tasked with keeping an eye on him. During their six years they resided together in a cabin high in the mountains, she manipulated him into a state of complacency with her power, calming him though the nightmares of the past. Kayla told him about a spirit who was tricked into being parted forever from his lover, the Moon. The spirit, whose name translated to 'Wolverine', was subsequently forced to look at the Moon forever and never be with her again. Kayla and Victor Creed faked her murder with hydrochlorothiazide for William Stryker so he could trick Logan into participating in his Weapon X project. When Logan was about to get his skeleton injected with adamantium, he asked for dogtags bearing the name "Wolverine", inspired by Silver Fox"

So since this is an off product supporting Logan it makes perfect sense to use his former wife as the name.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]At some point, Nvidia is gonna have to enter the x86 market, it would be great if they released a x86 Tegra chip....[/citation]
1) how could they? If I am not mistaken AMD, Intel, and IBM are the only companies with access to the tech. AMD and Intel will not let in another competitor, and IBM's x86 stuff is too dated to be of any use

2) why would they? I can't think of an Nvidia product that really needs it. They have ARM for light weight stuff, and they have their GPU tech running more and more of the server space. These are 2 industries that are seeing tremendous growth right now, and Nvidia is still a relatively small company. They would have to make a lot of changes in order to add essentially a 3rd in-house company.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Maxwell isn't going to offer the CPU access to any faster memory. The PCI-e 3.0 bus has a max theoretical transfer in the realm of just under 16 GB/sec (985 MB/sec per lane x16 lanes). Current DDR3 RAM has a transfer rate of roughly 14.9 GB/sec at 1866 mhz, and at 2133 it exceeds 17 GB/sec. Maxwell will only do two things: allow the CPU access to more ram, and cause problems because that RAM is of a different architecture than standard DDR3 RAM.

Volta, on the other hand, will eliminate a bottleneck that has crippled poorly architected and low-end GPU's: memory bandwidth. Higher memory bandwidth in AMD's cards has given them better performance scaling as anti-aliasing gets more complicated, and as screen resolutions go up (and as monitors are added).

Maxwell's bit about CPU access to the GPU's discrete RAM is probably more about CUDA/OpenCL software's increasing need to move code blocks back and forth more easily, and less about software using GPU RAM as more system ram. There's no point. Crossing the PCI-e bus cuts out any benefit you may derive except for sheer quantity available to write to.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]I do not think Intel will let that happen.[/citation]
Intel? AMD owns x86..... Intel has to pay for a license.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Intel? AMD owns x86..... Intel has to pay for a license.[/citation]
This is seriously incorrect. Intel developed the first x86 processor with the 8086 in 1978 and as such x86 is Intel's original architecture. Now eventually AMD was given legal right to manufacture their own x86 chips to compete with Intel, however, what you're confusing is AMD's rights to the x86-64 architecture extension that they developed.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]Just no.Both Forbes and Wikipedia has it as Nvidia.You are being confused with the company's logo.[/citation]

I think nebun's comment was more about the missing 'i' than the capitalization.

[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]Just no.Both Forbes and Wikipedia has it as Nvidia.You are being confused with the company's logo.[/citation]
Both Forbes and Wikipedia are wrong.

The registered trademark is NVIDIA®

Look at their web site and their product literature.

Don't forget VIA. They still design and sell low-end x86 CPUs too.

Nvidia may be relatively small compared to the likes of Intel and such, but I'd still consider them a very large company. They're huge compared to AMD and I find it difficult to call even AMD a small company seeing as they're also a multi-billion dollar company.

[citation][nom]alchemy69[/nom]I think nebun's comment was more about the missing 'i' than the capitalization.[/citation]

That wouldn't make any sense to me since the comment that nebun replied to already had the missing "i" put back in.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Intel? AMD owns x86..... Intel has to pay for a license.[/citation]
Intel owns x86. AMD created the x86-64. a pact was made, AMD is allowed to sell x86 cpus while intel is allowed access to the x86-64 extension. I dont think anyone pays any fees due to this agreement. intel decides if nvidia is allowed in if they ever want in.

Status
Not open for further replies.