Nvidia’s GF100: Graphics Architecture Previewed, Still No Benchmarks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
That's true. But at the same time, demonstrating your card at its best only to have official reviews make it look crap is going to cause some... interesting publicity. Cherry picked GPUs in official reviews will only be able to have improved power consumption and/or overclocks compared to retail cards. They won't magically perform better.

G

Maybe Nvidia are hoping for increased yields or A4...

There is something fishy about all this, or maybe that is just Nvidia's past behaviour making me feel that way. It definitely pays to look at the details when dealing with this company but at least we know this isn't the 1.7 woodscrew edition.

randomizer

Champion
Everything should be taken with a grain of salt until official 3rd party reviews are out. Drivers are not the same ones that will be used in reviews, hardware is not going to be the same (but will probably be similar, ie. i7 rig), the boards themselves may not be the same. As you said, A4 may be (is?) in the works.

My only interest in Fermi is in how much it will lower the prices of other cards. My PSU would have no trouble with it, but *I* have a problem with waste and inefficiency, especially if it comes in the form of lots of heat and a ridiculous price tag. GPGPU is interesting but won't matter for a good while; by then we'll probably have another generation (or two) and hopefully prices will be reasonable. In the meantime, I want to see nVidia compete vigorously with ATi on how much performance they can provide for

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
"There’s no word yet how Nvidia plans to implement lower-cost versions of its Fermi architecture"

maybe Fermi will be high end, last gen could be rebadged and be the low-mid end, it could work.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Ehsan W[/nom]maybe Fermi will be high end, last gen could be rebadged and be the low-mid end, it could work.[/citation]
Fermi is the architecture codename. GF100 is the codename of the actual GPU. There won't be any GPUs with "Fermi" printed on them. Most likely you'll have GF104, GF106 etc filling the low end.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for the update.
New cards are welcome for the costumer, and i don't really care who will take the crown, as long as i have a better deal.
Hope Nvidia can overcome the power usage issue. My rig is up 24/7, so idle power usage is a consideration.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
"That hardware is expected to be expensive, power-hungry, and hot. We don’t know exactly when it’ll drop, how many models Nvidia will build on the GF100 GPU, or how much they’ll cost."

Thanks for the info.....
:p

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]arkadi[/nom]Thanks for the update.New cards are welcome for the costumer, and i don't really care who will take the crown, as long as i have a better deal.Hope Nvidia can overcome the power usage issue. My rig is up 24/7, so idle power usage is a consideration.[/citation]

If they haven't overcome the power usage issue now it won't be corrected for the launch so it will most likely be addressed when Nvidia refreshes it's line up. To be honest I'm more concerned by the price tag, it's a given that these chips will be a big so much so they will have less chips per wafer which makes them more expensive to produce. Although having one large die has it's advantages price isn't one of them.

G

It doesn't have to be hot or power consuming, they could clock it at 200mhz, and it would have modest heat and power consumption. This should be read as:

"Fermi will be hot and power-consuming in order to be clocked high-enough to compete with ATI"

Over-engineering fail.

Hmmmm I will wait to buy till they either make a low end/ midrange that is below $200. Perhaps they finally made a decent replacement compared to the G80 and the G92 that doesn't have to many issue not that the GTx 2XX were bad cards but were just out of my price range that had a good performance to price ratio.

leon2006

Distinguished
March-31 release if NVIDIA manage not to screw up further to make it officially release by Q1 2010? Plus the waiting for inventories to build up before users can get their hands on this card.

The price, power consumption, and temperature will remain to be the question.

We need competition to make the prices go down a bit. ATI and the distributors are milking the current delay of nvidia.

AMW1011

Distinguished
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]Another problem for ATI just waiting to happen.If these predictions are true then,ATI will be in a very tough spot[/citation]
Because they will have the fastest card available still and have closer performing cards for much less? At best Fermi can MATCH the 5970, with the lowered clocks and cut-up shader count they wont even do that.

I'm not seeing the competition that I wanted from nVidia, not at all.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Until Nvidia release a mid-range video card ATI will be fine. From these specs, its obvious that the launch card will cost more than a ATI 5970. How many consumers actually buy these monsters?

It doesn't matter how great the new card is if it cost more then you are willing to pay. ATI “simpler” video card should enable them to undercut in price whatever Nvidia produce with this behemoth.

hannibal

Distinguished
Maybe ATI gives their helping hand to Nvidia and their hardware division start to make these chips at 22nm production ;)
But yeah, the situation remains. Ferni will be the fastest you can get, when it will "eventually" be released. But how long it will take for ATI to make their counter strike? All in all, hopefully this will make some good to the prizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS