News Nvidia’s next-gen AI GPU is 4X faster than Hopper: Blackwell B200 GPU delivers up to 20 petaflops of compute and other massive improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 21, 2018
Reactions: iLoveThe80s

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Watching the conference live. I'm just stunned, awed, at the performance improvements, efficiency improvements, and the throughput increases gen-on-gen. I don't think people really understand what's coming, I don't think I really understand what's coming, but NVIDIA at the moment is enabling a whole new paradigm in the idea of how computation can serve humanity to increase efficiency in all sorts of tasks.

Jensen deserves more credit more so than the ridicule he often gets, it's very misplaced, he's not a fool. Nvidia is really having a huge moment.

I've been hearing a lot about digital twins in infrastructure and construction, but really excited to see Jensen talking about expanding the reach of digital twins into many more industries. It's really going to revolutionize the speed, accuracy and cost with which so many tasks can be done.

aero1x

Reputable
Mar 30, 2021
Serious question - would you rather pay $100k for 1 year's service for an average, lazy, flawed human.. or $100k to own 1 blackwell super gpu, plus yearly electricity. What's better for your bottom line?

H100 GPUs sell for 40k? I'm surprised they still bother with consumer graphics cards.
Well, that's the rough estimate, and there are H100 PCIe cards that can potentially be purchased as a single item. Obviously, Nvidia isn't at all interested in selling Blackwell GPUs individually right now. They're tapped out on production capacity and selling everything they can make.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Nvidia revealed its upcoming Blackwell B200 GPU at GTC 2024, which will power the next generation of AI supercomputers and potentially more than quadruple the performance of its predecessor. Here are all the details on the new family of data center and AI products.

Nvidia’s next-gen AI GPU is 4X faster than Hopper: Blackwell B200 GPU delivers up to 20 petaflops of compute and other massive improvements : Read more
Anyone remembers when a lot of companies blasted amd for their "glued" dies? XD

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Have to say its certainly a step up but in reality its only a small one, 2x h100s would perform very much the same, in simple terms thats what they have done and added a fast interface, I think the AMD MI300 is quicker die for die and is for sure more efficient die for die, however lets toast the competition it can only improve things for all of us

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I am wondering if Nvidia is trying to glue AI and crypto together, by somehow creating a GPU product that makes "mining" profitable again.

In which case prices for any GPU will skyrocket again, shortages everywhere and a ton of money in everyone's pocket except the customers.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Jensen deserves more credit more so than the ridicule he often gets, it's very misplaced, he's not a fool. Nvidia is really having a huge moment.
While Jensen is a really smart guy and not what I'd call a fool, I think a lot of the criticism he receives is fairly just as is those who praise him. Most of this criticism comes from Nvidia's greed (the Ngreedia insult/meme wasn't coined in a vacuum), his tendency to price cards at the very last second (multiple times, even on stage) which correct or not calls in to question the need for prices to be so high (especially the 4000 series consumer parts), Nvidia's anti-competitive practices which they took right out of Intel's play book and it sure didn't doesn't help he has made gamers...you know the people who helped build his empire...feel like an after thought as of late. Yes AI blew up, for good or ill, and there is more money in that market but treating your consumer base who built you in a less than respectful fashion is in bad form no matter how you slice it. So yeah peeps are going to troll this.

Don't get me wrong I am running an Nvidia GPU as is my wife, my nephew (one of my old GTX 1080s...RIP GTX) and most of the gamers in my clan. Clearly Jensen is doing a lot right with RTX, DLSS and even Physx once upon a time. That said just because Nvidia has created some wonderful GPUs over the years, typically the most powerful and most full featured but that does not give Jensen or Nvidia by extentsion, a pass. Being the CEO of Nvidia makes Jensen by default the first person people are going to praise or blame conversely. So I think given everything...Jensen deserves a good portion of the ridicule he has been recieving lately. Your not wrong though, Jensen is no fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: valthuer
While Jensen is a really smart guy and not what I'd call a fool, I think a lot of the criticism he receives is fairly just as is those who praise him. Most of this criticism comes from Nvidia's greed (the Ngreedia insult/meme wasn't coined in a vacuum), his tendency to price cards at the very last second (multiple times, even on stage) which correct of not calls in to question the need for prices to be so high (especially the 4000 series consumer parts), Nvidia's anti-competitive practices which they took right out of Intel's play book and it sure didn't doesn't help he has made gamers...you know the people who helped build his empire...feel like an after thought as of late. Yes AI blew up, for good or ill, and there is more money in that market but treating your consumer base who built you in a less than respectful fashion is in bad form no matter how you slice it. So yeah peeps are going to troll this.

Don't get me wrong I am running an Nvidia GPU as is my wife, my nephew (one of my old GTX 1080s...RIP GTX) and most of the gamers in my clan. Clearly Jensen is doing a lot right with RTX, DLSS and even Physx once upon a time. That said just because Nvidia has created some wonderful GPUs over the years, typically the most powerful and most full featured but that does not give Jensen or Nvidia by extentsion, a pass. Being the CEO of Nvidia makes Jensen by default the first person people are going to praise or blame conversely. So I think given everything...Jensen deserves a good portion of the ridicule he has been recieving lately. Your not wrong though, Jensen is no fool.
Nvidia simply knows that the consumer is brutal. It is as simple as that.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Another thing about this keynote... I'm rolling my eyes anytime I see Sam Altman talk about building his own GPU's.

Sorry man, but your company CAN NOT do what NVidia does.
people say this a lot but its really not true. Chip design is more accessible now. At the and of the day its technology and know-how. You can hire the right people to get it done. As time goes by, more and more people know how.

And with the way nvidia makes these chips, its all out. There is no give. It's "make it as big as you can while not using too much power". It leaves a lot of room for competitors to come in under. Fortunately for nvidia a lot of companies seem to be operating like some gamers do. need to buy the latest and greatest even though they could get by with less and save billions.

people say this a lot but its really not true. Chip design is more accessible now. At the and of the day its technology and know-how. You can hire the right people to get it done. As time goes by, more and more people know how.

And with the way nvidia makes these chips, its all out. There is no give. It's "make it as big as you can while not using too much power". It leaves a lot of room for competitors to come in under. Fortunately for nvidia a lot of companies seem to be operating like some gamers do. need to buy the latest and greatest even though they could get by with less and save billions.
nah for some of those company going with nvidia do saves billions.....down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.