Nvidia 1060 vs. Radeon RX580 w Freesync

kibethsibeth

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I'm in the final stages of choosing parts for my first gaming build. I'm trying to make that final decision between AMD vs Nvidia, and wanted to ask the community to weigh in. FYI I primarily play Overwatch, so that's what I'm building the system to handle best.

My generic specs are:
- Mid-tower ATX
- Intel i5 7600k
- Asus PRIME Z270-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- 550W PSU
- 16GB RAM
- 256GB SSD
- 1080p monitor TBD depending on graphics card

Full Specs are here

Option 1: AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB (like this one) combined with this FreeSync monitor Acer KG240 24" Full HD FreeSync Display Monitor

Option 2: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (for example this one) with some other monitor (likely 60Hz IPS 5ms), but definitely not GSync.

Any thoughts on this build would be helpful, but this is primarily about the graphics card choices. I'm very hesitant to wait on the Radeon Vega cards because they're likely to be way outside my price range.

Thanks in advance!

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

Most definitely go with option 1. I'm an NVIDIA fan but Freesync + a 144Hz refresh rate will be a much better experience for you than the 1060 and a low refresh rate monitor. The 1060 which trades blows with the 580 in performance really won't be a big difference but the monitor differences will be.

kibethsibeth

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

If I were to choose a comparable monitor (144 Hz 1ms) like this one, would that change things? Would FreeSync still sway the decision towards the Radeon 580? Thanks so much!

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

In this case it would become a toss up for me. I'm partial to NVIDIA but I also use G-sync and haven't gone without it for some time nor have I compared it to Freesync. To me, G-sync was just a bonus and without hardware sync I probably wouldn't notice a major difference but a high refresh rate monitor is a huge difference. Either option would be good with a high refresh rate monitor.

popatim

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kibethsibeth : "First Build for Gaming, Opinions Anyone?"