NVidia 760 or wait for the 860?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
12% faster than 7950.
Still I would go for 7950 if one is not intending to crossfire as the card costs around $50 lesser than this (as of now, lets see what confirmed prices are).

I am expecting the prices to drop for 7950 as Nvidia released their competition card for it. Just my opinion.

I would say no - definitely on the GTX 770, but I've heard folks talking about their GTX 670 4GB cards running out of muscle before they cross the 2GB threshold... Might be worth it if these next-gen console ports are using 8K textures...

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
GeForce-GTX-760-Gaming-Performance.png

GeForce-GTX-760-vs-HD-7950.png

EVGA-GeForce-GTX-760-4GB-GDDR5.jpeg

Steve12323423653

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

I would go 760 based on your build choices. (AMD - you're obviously not looking for highest performance or you would've went i7 for the hyperthread advantage - why be that picky about video when you gimped your video processing by going amd?)

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Fair enough, I guess I didn't mention in this thread that I plan to upgrade to a Broadwell or Skylake i7. I'm just alternating my purchases i.e. GPU now mobo, CPU, ram later. I hope to carry over the 760 as my GPU until I can get a new GPU. Right now my 4870 is only DX 10 and 1g of memory.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
What's the deal with GPU's like the 760 that come already "Superclocked" - how does that work? I've never done it before.

$260 EVGA SuperClocked 760 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130934

How does it work, does it run "Superclocked" at all times or just when I need it too? Is there a type of "Superclocked" button I click on to over-clock it and can I turn it off if I want to?

If it runs "Superclocked" all the time wouldn't that make it get pretty hot? Besides, can't I "Superclock" it myself or is it just too complex for an old guy noob like me?

Also question #2: What's the deal with the turbine fan compared to the EVGA ACX Cooler:

The above link has the turbine fan while this one has the EVGA ACX Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

Which is better for the long run? Does the turbine push the heat out the rear or does it pull air in from the rear making it exhaust inside my case? Which fan set up is most quite?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for all the help!

I received my NVidia 760 Superclocked w/ACX, and put it in last night to replace my 5-year old 4870 1g, which has been an outstanding GPU, just outdated now. Salute to the 4870.

I had no problems with the installation. It worked without issue. The 760 was the perfect upgrade for me, finally at a reasonable price.

The NVidia 760 Superclocked w/ACX, gets 3x faster FPS in BF3 and it doubled my 3DMark score.

I would rather have had an SLI bridge over the poster and sticker that came with. It did come with a voucher for the new August release of 'Splinter Cell: Blacklist.'

I'm enjoying the 'NVidia Experience' program, which optimizes each game for the best settings on my system. I'll get a lot of use out of that and the program will get better over time.

Glad to hear it - I'm enjoying my new Geforce, too. Salute to the trusty Terascale cards!

And to answer your unanswered questions, the Superclocked version comes pre-overclocked, so you really don't need to mess with overclocking - you're getting near-peak performance from the chip.

And the turbine fan exhausts all hot air out the back of your case - which is great if you don't have good airflow or a SFF PC. But those are louder and keep the chips hotter vs. the open-air coolers that exhaust hot air into your case. <Those are preferable if you have a few case fans and at least a minitower.

Just a correction up there - Superclocked chips have the 'safe' thing still in check which does not let the card hit its very max. If the cooling is good enough (Like in the case of DirectCU II, Windforce, Twin Frozr, etc) there is plenty of overclocking room still left. A DirectCU II card Superclocked to 1.00 GHz, in most cases has the potential to reach 1.15 GHz while maintaining decent temperatures provided the ambient temperatures are alright and case has good airflow.

It more depends on which cooler is used. One thing I must admit, EVGA GPU with Blower isn't a wise choice for single GPU setup. It would obviously run hotter and noisier which limits its OC potential drastically.