Nvidia, Adobe Announce GPU Accelerated Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Could the days of DivX, XviD, or even H.264 be numbered?
I was under the impression that video embedded in Flash used normal codecs, such as the ones above. I could be wrong.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Mr_Man[/nom]I was under the impression that video embedded in Flash used normal codecs, such as the ones above. I could be wrong.[/citation]

Yes the FLV container supports H.264, H.263 - Xvid codecs etc... Most Youtube videos are encoded by Youtube with a H.264 codec, hence the high CPU usage when decoding (also due to the Flash overhead).

I would have hoped it would have been a OpenCL or Direct compute solution instead of just CUDA (it sounds like).

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Flash uses On2 VP6 as its main video codec, that's for most FLVs. It can also run H264, DIVX, etc with a little actionscript coding.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
They can, but most use the On2 VP6 codec. It has better compression quality/speed. All I know is that I have downloaded HD youtube vids and converted them to 264/WMV(VC1) and Xvid all of which I matched the VP6 quality and all of them had larger files sizes. I also took raw uncompressed video and did the same thing and VP6 had better pic quality and a smaller file size. Not sure how or why, but it did.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
that's nice an all but i would rather adobe get's their act together and make flash work properly on 64bit platforms.

G

Amazing, now, thanks to Nvidia's GPGPU technology, you can do perfectly normal shit like viewing a simple Flash webpage even on Intel's crappy Atom CPU. FFS, any halfway decent CPU can render Flash animation, even on platforms with non-optimized versions of Flash like Linux and OSX.

PS: Atom and Flash both suck, but this is akin to winning the Special Olympics, but needing Nvidia's help to do it.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
With the quality of Flash video constantly on the rise – now with it able to stream 720p streams over YouTube – it might only be a matter of time until Flash becomes the cross-platform codec of choice for all sorts of video delivery. Could the days of DivX, XviD, or even H.264 be numbered?
WRONG! Youtube has switched to using the h.264 codec almost exclusively, especially for the higher quality videos. The HD streams and iPhone/iTouch compatible streams are not only using h.264, but they are also using the mp4 container, not flash at all! Instead the flash player and container have been updated to allow these changes. The "flash" codec Youtube used to use is rather disappearing.

Here is some additional info on the formats Youtube is using: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Video_quality

Well, they need to make a case for ION. Even if it's paird with a weak VIA CPU, if an ION netbook can smoothly watch high def flash content, while an Intel Based net book can't, then that's a leg up for nVidia.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]dainsane1[/nom]that's nice an all but i would rather adobe get's their act together and make flash work properly on 64bit platforms.[/citation]
EXACTLY. Under windows 7, flash doesn't work with 64 bit browsers, and adobe reader doesn't work with 32 bit, just popus up a window with a ? on it.

I can only really see this being useful on ancient computers and netbooks/smartphones, unless they are planning on sending blueray movies via flash.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]reddragon72[/nom]They can, but most use the On2 VP6 codec. It has better compression quality/speed. All I know is that I have downloaded HD youtube vids and converted them to 264/WMV(VC1) and Xvid all of which I matched the VP6 quality and all of them had larger files sizes. I also took raw uncompressed video and did the same thing and VP6 had better pic quality and a smaller file size. Not sure how or why, but it did.[/citation]
All the HD videos were already using the h.264 codec. As for your quality loss, when converting from one lossy codec to another it is unavoidable. See my above post and link for more info about Youtube's audio/video codec and container use.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Pender21,

The acceleration is done via DXVA not by a GPGPU process. It will use the built in video accerlation engines of the cards. Accelerated video is not limited to nVidia solutions.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
gee, it'd be great if intel would work with adobe so that the larger % of ppl who have netbooks and such with they're GMA crap have a chance of streaming HQ flash...

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
"While NVIDIA is the one sending out the press release this morning, it should be noted that this Flash acceleration uses the DXVA protocols - not CUDA or any NVIDIA-specific. That means that AMD GPUs will also benefit from Flash acceleration so users of low-cost 785G platforms, for example, will also see great performance improvement. " http://www.pcper.com/news.php?s=5

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
It would be nice if it just wasn't such a whore for resources in the first place.
Personally, I don't like how anything from Adobe works.

davidgrenier

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I.E. There's no point to GPU accelerated 2d vector graphics, but we (Adobe) do it anyway to bring another software bloat on your computer.

mysticalzero

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I've been frustrated at how flash ramps up cpu usage and making the whole system response so sluggishly. While this is great news, I hope it runs fine with compiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.