News Nvidia Ampere Flagship GPU Reportedly Features Up to 24GB GDDR6X and 350W TDP

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I'll wait for Nvidia Hopper if the TDP is true, I run the RTX 2060 Super overclocked to be faster than a standard RTX 2070, but my case still probably has insufficient airflow to cool this behemoth.

Apr 1, 2020
Well my EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming overclocked and the limiter increased a bit tops out at 250w, so assuming the 3090 is 75% faster, that would make for about 350w once the node shrink is factored in, and I think that's -possible- depending on how much more powerful Ampere is than Turing.

The question is: Will it cost $2000?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Its either Nvidia is feeling threatened by AMD to push for radically improved specs, i.e. 24GB of VRAM, or this report is inaccurate. Looking at Nvidia's usual behavior, they are usually not the one that will push for big step up in features like VRAM on the consumer side of things. I was expecting them to cap at 12GB or 16GB at best. So perhaps the replacement of RTX 2080 should get a 12GB VRAM, while the replacement of 2080 Ti will get 16GB. 24GB is a little hard to believe. Again, I am just talking about the consumer/ retail side of things.

Reactions: King_V

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This has GOT to be rumor bait.
24GBs of Vram on a MAINSTREAM gpu? Really? And with GDDR6X? Pfft! If ya'll thought the 1200USD 2080Ti was bad... LOL!
That would make more sense on Titan/Quadro.

The rumored TDPs on that chart aren't surprising. Some aftermarket 2070 Supers hit that easily.

Reactions: King_V

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Meh 320W is insane I thought the power consumption would go down or at least stay the same when moving to a smaller process technology.

It should, which would indicate this card has some really high factory clocks. An overclocked 2080ti can exceed 350W's.

The question is: Will it cost $2000?

Titan RTX was $2500, and if this rumored card is real, it will be the replacement for the RTX Titan and cost similarly.

Reactions: thisisaname

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
High end != mainstream

Mainstream in this case means targeted at gamers. Cost is irrelevant. The $1400 2080Ti was a mainstream card despite a decidedly unmainstream price. 24GB of RAM on a gaming card makes zero sense. Big additional cost over 12GB for zero benefit. Pretty much why the Titan RTX was not targeted at gamers even though it was the fastest gaming card available.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Mainstream in this case means targeted at gamers. Cost is irrelevant.
u
24GB of RAM on a gaming card makes zero sense
Big additional cost over 12GB for zero benefit
You missed the play for mainstream, while also missing the play for high end, simultanenously.

Cost is extremely relevant when considering gamers. Do you think these kids that don't have a thing, suddenly have monetary donations in their lives, you ignaramous,

How TF are you going to stand behind 'mainstream is gamers' when reflectin those sales

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
u

You missed the play for mainstream, while also missing the play for high end, simultanenously.

Cost is extremely relevant when considering gamers. Do you think these kids that don't have a thing, suddenly have monetary donations in their lives, you ignaramous,

How TF are you going to stand behind 'mainstream is gamers' when reflectin those sales
You're using the wrong definition of mainstream.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
High end != mainstream
I guess you were trying to type a 'does not equal' sign?
Hmm... I was using the term 'mainstream' as an adjective:
-belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc...
The 2080Ti is a high end gpu, and it is part of the Geforce RTX gaming graphics card product line. Therefore, that makes it a high end, mainstream gaming graphics card.
While the product itself might not be practical, it's officially a mainstream gpu, just like every other flagship of Nvidia's Geforce Gaming brand.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
AMD made the right choice and used AIO water cooler for their high end cards when they hit over 350w TDP ... Nvidia needs to do the same if it costs $150 for AIR COOLING. no matter what AIO is cheaper and WILL cool the card better.

Makaveli

Splendid
My seasonic 850w Prime Titanium might actually get to about 700w usage. Glad I got a decent PSU.

Anything that is Titanium is more than just a decent psu its top of the line.

And seasonic is the best in the game, its why I choose my psu which is built on the same platform as the Prime just with a Corsair label on it.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
While the product itself might not be practical, it's officially a mainstream gpu, just like every other flagship of Nvidia's Geforce Gaming brand.
The use of your term then applies to every publicly available GPU, making it redundant to state.

Mainstream refers to the most common slice of the market, please show me where the 2080Ti is the most common GPU in user systems so you can defend your argument.
You're using the wrong definition of mainstream.
Please explain what you think it means and then I'll let you know why you're incorrect.

That is an absolutely insane amount of power for 7nm. We all thought Navi 5700XT was insane with 200 Watts power (not TDP at that)

What I find really curious is, if it runs that hot, WHY USE A SINGLE FAN? Are we returning to leaf blower designs again? More fans = more airflow = better temps/less noise.

Fd = Cd * Area * (V1/V0)^2
(force of drag = Coefficient of Drag * Area * (velocity 1 / velocity 0)^2)

Basically stated if you have one fan and move the same amount of air by volume, you have to double the velocity. Thus the amount of force you have to put into a fan to pump that air to those speeds exponentially increases. (And why you hear nothing but noise on really small 40mm fans trying to be effective.) This is one of the rare strengths liquid cooling has. You can use multiple fans, and a larger surface area to spread out the load of heat and forces.

As a general rule: double the fans at 1/2 the speed is usually preferable because you get similar air flow with good pressure, and less noise overall. This however does have limits as bearing noise and static pressure losses may work against you.

What's also curious is the use of an axial fan as opposed to a centrifugal/squirrel cage fan typically found on blower designs. If you have to push air through a lot of fins, there's a high drag factor, and you need static pressure. This is an axial fan's weak point. Axials are more about velocity than pressure. (Not that you can't make them high pressure. It's just harder to do with multiple sweep blades and higher RPM.) Centrifugal fans are much more efficient in this regard.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That is an absolutely insane amount of power for 7nm. We all thought Navi 5700XT was insane with 200 Watts power (not TDP at that)

What I find really curious is, if it runs that hot, WHY USE A SINGLE FAN? Are we returning to leaf blower designs again? More fans = more airflow = better temps/less noise.

What's also curious is the use of an axial fan as opposed to a centrifugal/squirrel cage fan typically found on blower designs. If you have to push air through a lot of fins, there's a high drag factor, and you need static pressure. This is an axial fan's weak point. Axials are more about velocity than pressure. (Not that you can't make them high pressure. It's just harder to do with multiple sweep blades and higher RPM.) Centrifugal fans are much more efficient in this regard.

Look closely at the picture using the mounting bracket on the 2 cards as your reference. It's not a blower design. The card does have 2 fans. One is facing up, the other is facing down. Bizarre design.

eYob26nvcTqbtCgF5rHwVC-650-80.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
semantics are fun lol
Sure, when you're not caught in the crossfire... :cautious:

The use of your term then applies to every publicly available GPU, making it redundant to state.

Mainstream refers to the most common slice of the market, please show me where the 2080Ti is the most common GPU in user systems so you can defend your argument.
Nope. I'm not playing that game.
Move along please, or stick to the thread topic.

Titan RTX was $2500, and if this rumored card is real, it will be the replacement for the RTX Titan and cost similarly.
Yep, it's pretty clear that card would be intended as the replacement to the Titan RTX, which already has 24GB of GDDR6 and a $2,500 MSRP, despite only being a little faster than a 2080 Ti at gaming. So I certainly wouldn't find the same amount of VRAM on its successor to be in any way surprising. That much VRAM might be useless for gaming any time soon, but those doing things like heavy rendering workloads might find some benefit from it. Nor would I find a $150 cooler on a card near that price range to be particularly surprising either. If the card is around $2,500, that only works out to 6% of its total cost.

It's probably a bit of a stretch to assume that they would use the same exact cooler on something like a 3070 though, nor would I expect a card that many tiers down from the top-end to have a similar 320 watt TDP, or to even be built around the same chip. That seems like it would be a really inefficient way to manufacture graphics cards. Perhaps their chip yields are extremely poor though, and for each functional "Titan" or "3080 Ti" they manufacture, they end up with far more chips with a large number of defective cores that they are using to pad out the rest of their higher-end lineup. For now, it's probably worth treating these "leaked" specifications as unlikely rumors though.

I guess you were trying to type a 'does not equal' sign?
That is a not equal sign in programming. : 3