NVIDIA and Intel War To Start In 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Its just stupid of Nvidia to make such comments. Everyone knows Intel's graphics solutions as of yet suck for the most part and I don't have much faith for Larrabee although it is interesting. NVIDIA is just hurting itself, why would Intel give NVIDIA the ability to manufacture Nehalem chipsets after all of this?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Is it me or does nVidia's Huang sound similar to the psycho-babble that comes from Kim Jong-il? Genius? Maybe. Psychotic? Pretty good chance.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
i doubt intel can fight against nvidia or ati/amd. until now all intel graphic solutions are worthless for gaming. and since the AGP/3DFX voodoo era intel has abandoned the high end graphic market finding its self unable to compete with others. also far more then all those years ago most graphic solutions depend on software and driver support. you dont always need to have the fastest graphic card but you need to have way better driver support. as seen in many exotic configurations like Quad or Triple SLI or Quad Crossfire x having lack of driver support means huge preformance loss and having driver support can also mean high gains. i wonder if intel can get its act togheter by then. its always good to see more players on the market

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Pros: More competition , lower prices.

Stats: nVidia 4985 employees 2007 Sales:4,097,900,000
Intel 86300 employees 2007 Sales:38,334,000,000
... even these stats notwithstanding Intel has the advantage because.. bigger company,talented crew , more money for R&D, production capacity and if you ask the average joe on the street he will have no clue who nVidia is but Intel... that stupid song will play in the guys head .. you know from the Pentium commercials...DIN DONG DING DONG
I like nVidia but "open a can of whoop ass" dude..... what if you don't win

jprevost

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Stats: According to lopopo NVidia is making 85% more sales $ per employee. I'd say they are running a tight ship over there in graphics leader land.
Truthfully, after reading an article in CPU magazine, I see AMD/ATI/NVidia ganging up to build a gaming OS where Intel sticks with Microsoft. The resulting gaming OS could potentially win back a lot of ground for the gpu depending on the price of said OS. Basically they would just need to knock out Intel from having the cpu advantage and put most everything onto the gpu like the ps3 has done with the cell processors. Imagination running wild; Sony helps NVidia/AMD/ATI take on Intel, haha. That would be awesome for PC gaming.

Ixad

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
It's always over money. Intel doesn't appreciate NVidia dipping it's fingers into Intel's cookie jar with the NForce motherboards. NVidia, on the other hand, has to be concerned at the direction Intel seems intent on taking with it's move towards an integrated memory controller, potentially killing the marriage of SLi and Intel CPU's (and the main reason people buy a non Intel motherboard chipset to begin with). That move could make for some strange bedfellows if it becomes a reality.

IMO, this was headed towards a showdown long before the mega-egos in both camps started flappin' their gums in a public arena. 2010 is going to be a very interesting year. I hope the outcome is beneficial rather than disastrous for PC gaming .

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
wow 80Core VGA OMG!!! Huang has balls , Smart guy I like his style. It was about time companies started cpu battles.

can Nvida keep up though? with 80cores at 2k speed?

MTLance

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
LMAO, gotta give some credit for Huang for being tough but Intel will slam that Nvidia to the ground. Yep Intel got billions to spend and not to mention their own manufacturing capability while Nvidia relies on TSMC.
Like lopopo said, "DIN DONG DING DONG" for average joes. Imagine Intel hard on advertising spoiling the game. AMD is nearly out and guess what Nvidia is about the take AMD place rofl.

divpers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Intel is a damn juggernaut. I've seen Intel looking down and out before, but they always come back stronger than ever.

Nvidia looks like a big shot lately, but they have no competition. Now some is coming up, and they can't even be respectful to the competitor? Sounds to me like they have an awful good thing going and are angry to see an upcoming challenge.

Also looks to me like they started it, by moving into the chipset market, and then starting the hype about replacing CPUs with GPUs.

But... Nvidia is small beans compared to Intel. Look at it this way, what does Nvidia have to do to get Intel out of the game? It's surreal. Intel is HUGE and has their hands into a million different pots, and we aren't even talking about political clout.

What does Intel have to do to knock Nvidia out of the game? Just 1 thing, make a CPU handle graphics.

Personally, I think given a few years - we can see why Nvidia lost face and blew their lid, overreacting like they did. Surest sign is the sign of fear in their faces.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
There certanly will be a war since Intel has no choice but go into nvidias and ati's field. The x86 CPU is at a dead end and they are presently just fooling the public that is moving forward. Adding cores they can keep uniformed ppl happy for only a couple years on. 'The heat wall' is a much bigger deal than anyone lets on..think about it, we are stuck at ~4 GHz for all silicon forever.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I tell you, I really like the idea of the Nvidia-AMD/ATI setup for a gaming OS and hardware platform. Something that's much more efficient than Windows. Well I can dream anyway.

Ultimately it comes down to developer support. Intel is betting that raytracing is going to be the next big way to render 3d graphics, but everything I've seen from folks like Carmack say that raytracing is still a long ways off.

Chromanin

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
2010 is going to see the biggest leap in hardware power since the introduction of Voodoo. Neither Intel nor Nvidia have the luxury to hold back this time, it's going to be all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.