Nvidia Announces 480M Fermi GPU for Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I can see the title of the laptop now.
The new Nvidia Hotbook: Warming your lap and playing your games for an incredibly crappy price, and barely beating the $100 less 5870 while comsuming all your laptops power.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
In terms of graphics power, 897 GFLOPs puts it in the same league of the desktop GTX 465 (855.36 GFLOPs). Seriously, name inflation like this just shouldn't be allowed (ATI does the same). It's not a GTX 480 in terms of performance by a long shot, the desktop GTX 280 is more powerful.

I'd be interested in seeing some benchmarking results because the 5870 mobile chip claims 1120 GFLOPs.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't like NVidia now because of CUDA. Support OpenCL and drop this CUDA gimmick. I'm not interested in learning an api that will tie me down to a particular brand of such a small market.

G

I heard apple is going to put it in an all metal notebook called the iGrill. Comes with a free basting brush.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Yawn to the heat and frying pan jokes. I remember when everybody was making fun of the cards before they were even released, and then when they arrived people were reporting that there were/are no heating issues at all (take a look at the reivews on newegg). Give it a rest. Fermi is a great leap and ya it's a bit wrinkled but it will get ironed out sooner than you can stop with the lame jokes.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... that means, that the radiator will be outside of laptop casing... and there will bet went holes near or in the keyboard...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]I don't like NVidia now because of CUDA. Support OpenCL and drop this CUDA gimmick. I'm not interested in learning an api that will tie me down to a particular brand of such a small market.[/citation]
Nvidia does support and promote OpenCL, along with every other open standard currently available. In addition they support CUDA, which currently has much broader support then OpenCL. Despite this however, potential OpenCL application performance is looking quite good on Nvidia's latest GPU:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/6

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I hate to jump on the heat bandwagon, but my ASUS G72GX with the GTX260M idles @ 64c without powermiser enabled (down clock) I have hit 92c playing that game that starts with a "C". So scoff all you want, BUT IT IS AN ISSUE. I knew this when buying it, but it is something you have to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS