Nvidia Announces 480M Fermi GPU for Notebooks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]I don't like NVidia now because of CUDA. Support OpenCL and drop this CUDA gimmick. I'm not interested in learning an api that will tie me down to a particular brand of such a small market.[/citation]
The thing is CUDA is way ahead of OpenCL, and Nvidia supports OpenCL. ATI had their chance early on with their FireStream dedicated cards and Stanford University, but they failed to see the efficacy of using their standard desktop cards to promote their tech. Nvidia capitalized on this and put a tonne of effort into developing the freely downloadable SDK for all developers. Now we have hundreds if not thousands of CUDA scientific and desktop productivity applications taking advantage of CUDA. OpenCL will catch up probably, but don't expect Nvidia to give away it's competitive advantage.

devrahul

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Crazy News: The experts have found that recent cause of explosion at a gaming convocation was a laptop having some GPU called fermi 480M ( supposedly in SLI )running crysis maxed out.NO causality so far but now there is fear in gaming community about this so called Fermi 480M
Om the other side Nvidia has refused to comment on anything like that.
Stay Tuned...........

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]352 shaders @ 850mhz?!?!? I have two things to say:1) How is Nvidia clocking this thing so high when EVERY GPU they have ever made was under 750mhz and the GTX480 only runs @ 700mhz on the desktop?2) How is Nvidia going to power/cool this thing? It has more shading power than the GTX470!! (Unless the architecture is different) 352*850mhz is GREATER than 448*607mhz.... ya good luck Nvidia)[/citation]Sorry to double post, but NVIDIA is being sneaky (not in a good way) on this one.

850MHz is the shader ("processor") speed (my GTX 260M runs at 1375MHz).
The core speed is 425MHz (GTX 260M - 550 MHz).
Memory speed is 600MHz ("1200MHz" = 600*2, just because it's GDDR5); GTX 260M - 950MHz (GDDR3).

Here is another article about the same thing.

G

I could be wrong.. but my guess is that 99% of the people complaining about the "battery" issue couldn't afford one of these anyways and are just jealous.. Honestly, I don't care about the battery... i take it out. I live a life where I am never home... but I love to game... but whether it's in a hotel room, or a office, or in the airport when you're on that 6 hour layover... who cares. Honestly... this GPU is intended for hardcore gaming... Who hardcore games on the bus.. or on the beach?

Give your heads a shake.. go troll somewhere else.. Laptops equipped with this will be intended to be plugged in, and the battery acting as a bit of a UPS.. But like somebody earlier said... if you want battery life.. Go get a asus eepc or an ipad or something.

Get off

Status
Not open for further replies.