Nvidia Announces Maxwell-Powered Tegra X1 SoC At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The K1 is still a beast!! I really hope they can bring something to the smartphone world. I would love the ability to stream PC games to my smartphone. Would need a 5.5+ inch screen though, IMO.

hEt lEyd

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
i think with those info's (1024 GFLOPS, +60 in Manhattan) it will be more powerfull than Intel Broadwell-U HD6000 and HD6100. what's goin on here?!

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
i think with those info's (1024 GFLOPS, +60 in Manhattan) it will be more powerfull than Intel Broadwell-U HD6000 and HD6100. what's goin on here?!

Depending on the test, which Broadwell-U may be measured in, Tegra X1 may only be rated 512 peak.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Hey look, unreleased hardware is faster than current hardware on the market!

I look forward to an independent review complete with benchmarks... when it's in a shipping tablet. :)

Cash091,
Streaming still needs to be done locally to get a good experience (i.e. local AC network) not using your PC as a remote server.

Also, not sure streaming to a PHONE is a good idea since controller support wouldn't really be there. That's why you need an NVidia Shield.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Cash091,
Streaming still needs to be done locally to get a good experience (i.e. local AC network) not using your PC as a remote server.
Yes.

Also, not sure streaming to a PHONE is a good idea since controller support wouldn't really be there. That's why you need an NVidia Shield.
No. Not necessarily. Plenty of tablets and phones have support for controllers. Heck if you get a Windows tablet you've got even more options for controllers (and other input devices). The only time a Shield might be strictly better is if you're not streaming games, but rather running them locally on the tablet itself.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I'd wish Nintendo to build their next handheld with a SOC like the X1...keeping the ARM A9 & A11 for backwards compatibility with previous gen consoles' games.
Anybody can dream on the internet these days.

Abram730

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

Depending on the test, which Broadwell-U may be measured in, Tegra X1 may only be rated 512 peak.

Yep, the demo needs 1 TFLOP, but they run color compressed to FP16, so that's where the 1 TFLOP comes from, but they are measured based on FP32.. so 512 GFLOP

Their compression is great though. The demo looked great, so there can be multiplatform games for mobile.

Cash091,

I stream from 3000 miles away all the time without latency issues. You clearly haven't used grid or Nvidia's game streaming. Web browsing in front of my computer is where the latency is. I still haven't found a PC that can web browse without lagging out.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Devices with this chip ought to surpass the PS3/XB360 in terms of performance, even when accounting for additional OS overhead. It would be interesting to see PS3/XB360 games be ported to such devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.