Nvidia Announces The GTX Titan X; Features Maxwell, 8-Billion Transistors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT27

Distinguished

Uhm, no, The Titan series are marketed towards gamers, they have a whole different line of similar gpus for rendering/modeling applications.

Titans are usually used for multi monitor setups or high resolutions/Extreme Post Processing

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

bandwidth is speed. when I say that my car speed is 60 Km/h it means that my car goes 60 km at the time of one hour. bandwidth is (how "fast" a memory can transfer data to or from the GPU) or (how much data a memory can transfer to or from the GPU at the time of a second(like my car)). what I said before won't work all the time. because In the future, when I want to increase bandwidth, I won't increase capacity because that will increase the cost and power consumption and I will simply increase the memory bus interface by upgrading the memory type and that is why HBM is the future,but what I said before will work in current situation and a 12 GB Gddr5 with a 384-bit will be very fast and "maybe" beat 4 GB HBM

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
So, that means maxwell with 12 blocks instead of 8 or 4. Which would be 7.8 billion based off the 5.2 number, but i guess we can round that up, even tho you didn't round the other number down.

Id make the 11G fast +1GB slow joke(it wouldnt be 11.5 becasue 12 gig divides to 1 gb chips on 12 channels) but these will probably only be fully functioning 12 block dies. Unless they add on an extra one so they have something to disable in the case of a bad one. In that case there actually could be an 11+1 issue. Man wouldnt that suck!

Tho that does beg the question. What will they do with defective dies. I can see them cutting some down to 980 specs. And if that is the case, depending what they cut, they might end up with some kinda wierd slow memory split in die harvested 980 conversions.....even more possible fun!

An AFK User

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Nvidia 's counter to AMD's R9 295X2 looks great. I sure hope the Titan X's TDP isn't too high. I wonder what Nvidia's counter to the rumored "Hydra Cooler" would be.

Bob Austin

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I'll wait till the 390x with hbm to come out, then nvidia will slash the price of the titan. Then I'll buy the titan x, and 2 weeks later gtx 980 ti comes out and then I will kick myself!

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

this is in the GTX 970 not the GTX 980. the GTX 980 uses normal 4 GB.

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

that is the right thing.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I am sure most of the extra transistors are for the cuda cores and wont improve gaming performance much. I hope that AMD can release a 8GB 380x/390x card as they already have a 8GB 290x out now so it would be a shame if a newer card would have less then the current model. Also with 4k/1440p becoming more common, 4GB could become a bottle neck. I got my 3x1600 setup and 4GB with some of the new games would be a problem if I run with max settings.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Cuda cores contribute a great deal to game performance. They're also commonly referred to as shader cores.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

The Titan's target a prosumer market between the high-end GeForce lineup and Quadro. It's primary strengths target developers and researchers that depend on double precision performance, but don't need ECC or Quadro driver specific optimizations and validations. If you just need FP64 and a large volume of fast memory they offer a much better price/performance ratio than Quadro or Tesla at the time of launch.

I honestly don't think they make much sense as strictly gaming cards, with perhaps the exceptions of the initial launch of the original Titan, and the upcoming launch of the Titan X, when they're also the fastest gaming cards on the market (for those with lots of money and live on the bleeding edge). But in the case of the Titan X most people must realize that there's probably going to be a 6GB GM200 card to top off Nvidia's regular consumer gaming lineup sometime down the road.

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
3 or 4 SMM will be disabled on Titan X with enabled FP64

then in few months popped out GTX 980 Ti with full SMM enabled and FP64 disabled

next few months they will sell Titan Black X with full SMM and FP64 enabled

well done Nvidia..!

alextheblue

Distinguished
12 GB Gddr5 with a 384-bit will be very fast and "maybe" beat 4 GB HBM
Not unless they're running that GDDR5 at some really insane speeds. In the 390X, the HBM memory is expected to have a bandwidth of 640GB/s. Even the base 390 is expected to push 480. Not to mention that all the new cards are going to be at least GCN 1.2 so they get the lossless color compression (ala Tonga) across the board.

Now, memory bandwidth alone doesn't decide a victor. So that doesn't mean that these cards are guaranteed a victory. But as far as memory speed goes? There's no way HBM is going to lose to GDDR5 in such a wide configuration.

I was talking about 1st gen HBM that will be available soon.
At the moment there are no known ways to achieve greater capacities unless you are talking about 2nd gen of HBM (or you know something more that the media don't know :p).
HBM overall speccs

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

You could widen the interface, which is what I was referring to.

iamrayth

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Assuming 384 bit bus, the memory would have to be clocked at 12.5 ghz minimum to equal the rumored bandwidth of 390x. And memory capacity has no effect on gpu bandwidth, it is determined by the number of memory chips and clock speed.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The Titan line is aimed at enthusiast grade gamers. They are not made for graphical rendering but do have the power to do so. The Titan line is made for gamers that much is evident of the printing on the box. Nvidia just thought it good to make another line for the enthusiast market. Its not made for everyone to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.